Internal Temperature of Steak
If you are looking for a rare steak you will want the internal temperature to be 120 – 125 degrees F.
Medium is cooked to 135 degrees to 145 degrees F.
If you want a well done steak it is cooked to 155 degrees or hotter.
We aim for a steak around 135 degrees!
Remember that the temperature will rise another 3-4 degrees F while it rests after cooking so factor that in.
How long should you let steak marinade?
- Remove steaks from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature while you prep the grill. This will help you get an evenly cooked steak, otherwise the outside of the meat will cook faster than the inside.
- Before placing the steaks on the grill make sure it’s very hot and the oil is grated.
- Monitor the steaks closely as they will cook quickly on a hot grill.
- Don’t over flip the steak. They should only be flipped once. Use a spatula to flip, if you stab them with a fork it releases their flavorful juices. Don’t press them down with a spatula, just flip them.
- Make sure you rest the steak after pulling it off the grill for a few minutes. This is one of the most important steps when grilling steaks. It allows the meat to relax and the heat and juices to redistribute.
This all depends on how strong you want the marinade to taste. It’s a good rule of thumb to let your steak marinate for a minimum of 2 hours but most let it sit overnight to allow that flavor to really soak in.