Smoked Mac and Cheese
It's prepared on an electric smoker for a creamy homemade mac and cheese that's flavored with smoke.
- 16 oz uncooked elbow macaroni noodles
- 2 c. water
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 c. sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 c. mozzarella cheese shredded
Preheat your smoker to 225 degrees F according to manufacturer's directions
Pour noodles, water, milk and cream into skillet. Cook, stirring regularly, until the noodles are just starting to be tender, a little before they are al dente, about 7-8 minutes. Do NOT cook the noodles fully through as we will bake them next.
Turn off the heat and carefully stir in the garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Next, add the shredded cheeses and mix until combined and completely melted.
Place the mac and cheese in the smoker and smoke for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Use a cast iron skillet when you make this. It goes from the stove top to the smoker with an hassle.
- Smoke at a low heat so you noodles don't dry out.
- Start by smoking it 30 minutes, if you want more of a smoked taste smoke it up to 2 hours. Your noodles will dry out more the longer it smokes because the liquid is soaked up as it bakes in the smoker.
- Make sure to grab a block of cheese and shred it yourself. Don't be the pre-shredded cheese. It does not melt as well and you want the creamiest mac and cheese!
- When picking wood chips choose a mild wood flavor like cherry, apple, maple or pecan.
- Add a little hot sauce to kick it up a notch.
- Switch up the cheese for your favorites. Want a little more spice? Use some pepper jack cheese!
- Sprinkle a little sweet and smokey rub in for a delicious flavor twist.
- Add in your favorite flavors. We love to add in some jalapenos, bacon, brisket, lobster, pulled pork, chicken and more!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container the fridge for 3-4 days.
Calories: 428.36kcal | Carbohydrates: 45.13g | Protein: 21.67g | Fat: 17.47g | Saturated Fat: 10.37g | Cholesterol: 54.83mg | Sodium: 663.13mg | Potassium: 220.14mg | Fiber: 1.88g | Sugar: 3.5g | Vitamin A: 521.75IU | Calcium: 394.27mg | Iron: 1.05mg