Smoked Baked Potatoes
These Smoked Baked Potatoes are seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic pepper and then slow cooked on your Traeger electric pellet grill. They are a quick and easy side dish that anyone can make. Perfect to pair with your smoked pork, steak or chicken!
I think baked potatoes are one of my favorite vegetables. Where some people love the fluffy insides, I love the perfectly crispy skin, especially when it’s been seasoned with a little salt, pepper and garlic. That’s why we will both love these Smoked Baked Potatoes because they are fluffy on the inside with a crispy seasoned skin.
We’ve made them on the grill before and these Grilled Baked Potatoes have become one of our favorite go to recipes when we are grilling.
Why You’ll Love this Smoked Baked Potatoes Recipe!
- A healthy side dish for all of your main meat dishes.
- It only requires five ingredients that more than likely you have in your house.
- Easy to cook with your smoked meat. Just adjust the cooking time by the temperature you are cooking your meat at. High temp? Lower the cooking time. Lower temp? Raise the cooking time!
- Did we mention they are light and fluffy inside with a crispy, seasoned skin just like a steakhouse?
Ingredients for Smoked Baked Potatoes
- Potatoes – The best potatoes to smoke are going to be the same ones that are great for baking in the oven like Russet and Yukon Gold. Get potatoes that are similar in size so the cooking time is the same.
- Olive oil – You could also use butter to rub on the outside of the potato to get that crispy skin.
- Seasonings – Salt, pepper, garlic powder or our famous Beef Rub works great on these.
- Toppings – Butter, sour cream, cheese, parsley
How to make Smoked Baked Potatoes
- Prep smoker to a temperature of 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine garlic powder, black pepper and salt in a small bowl, stir to combine.
- Scrub potato well under warm water. Brush with olive oil. Roll potatoes coat with the spices.
- Place potatoes on the smoker set to 225 degrees F. Smoke for 3 hours or until fork tender.
What Potatoes Should I Use?
There are many potatoes to choose from at the market. When you’re looking to make a great smoked baked potato you’ll definitely want to use a russet potato. The thick skin and high starch content is perfect for baking.
The only other potatoes I’d recommend for smoking would be a Yukon Gold or sweet potato.
How Long to Smoke Traeger Baked Potatoes
It will take about 3 hours to smoke a baked potato at 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Make sure they are “fork tender” or if you stick a fork in them it’s easy to pierce through the middle.
Another option is to use an instant read thermometer and the potatoes are cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 205-210 degrees Fahrenheit.
It’s easy to adjust the cooking time to match temperatures your main protein is cooked at on the smoker too. Here’s an easy chart to use as a guide.
Cooking time will vary upon the size of your potato. These are just guides to start with.
|225º F||2 hours, or slightly longer|
|250º F||2 hours|
|275º F||2 hours, or slightly less|
|275º F||1 ½ hours, or slightly longer|
|325º F||1 ½ hours|
|350º F||between 1 – 1 ½ hours|
What Pellets Should I Use When Smoking Potatoes?
We prefer a pellet with a strong smoky flavor like Hickory. Another great option would be a competition blend of pellets.
Pecan and Mesquite pair nicely with smoked potatoes too.
The BEST Baked Potato Toppings
- Smoked Bacon
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions
- Leftover Brisket
- Leftover Pulled Pork
Now you have a Smoked Baked Potato, but what will you serve it with? This is a few of our favorite main dishes to pair with those potatoes!
- Smoked Pork Loin – Oh my goodness so much flavor and so juicy!
- Smoked Meatloaf – This isn’t your Grandma’s meatloaf (<— I’m sure hers was great!), sooooo much flavor!
- Smoked Chicken Breasts – Juicy, tender and HEALTHY! Perfect for meal prep!
More potato recipes!
- Cheesy Potatoes on the Grill with Bacon
- Seasoned Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges
- Garlic Herbed Grilled Potatoes
- Baked Potatoes on the Grill
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
Smoked Baked Potatoes
- 4 russet potatoes medium
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Prep smoker according to manufacturer's directions to a temperature of 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl combine garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Stir to combine.
- Wash potatoes. Brush with olive oil. Roll potatoes in spices in bowl until they are completely covered.
- Place potatoes on smoker set to 225 degrees Fahrenheit. Smoke for 2 hours or until soft and fork tender.
- Serve potatoes with your favorite toppings!
- We prefer a pellet with a strong smoky flavor like Hickory. Another great option would be a competition blend of pellets.
- Pecan and Mesquite pair nicely with smoked potatoes too.
- You’ll definitely want to use a russet potato. The next best option is Yukon Gold potatoes.
Leave a Comment