Smoked Turkey Breast is a delicious turkey recipe that’s perfect for the holidays, yet small enough for dinner or a small cook out. Tender, juicy turkey that has a delicious rub on it. This turkey breast is smoked on your electric smoker for the ultimate smoked flavor.
Plus, we’ve included directions on how to make smoked turkey gravy using the drippings of your turkey breast. It has such a delicious flavor and is perfect for pairing with your turkey.
This simple smoked turkey breast recipe is so easy to do. All you need are a few simple ingredients and you’ll find that there is really very little prep work for this turkey recipe.The results is a tender, juicy turkey breast that has a ton of flavor from a buttery rub and being smoked on an electric smoker.
The gravy that goes with it is out of this world delicious. The spices from the rub on turkey drip down into the drippings that are collected in the pan. Use these drippings to make the gravy and it has so much flavor. Plus, the perfect hint of smoke flavor to it.
Don’t forget to make a batch of our famous Smoked Snack Mix which is perfect for later afternoon munching. This is also great for any holiday, game night or tailgating.
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this deliciously easy recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- Turkey breast
- Chicken broth
- Olive oil
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Dried sage
- Ground black pepper
- All Purpose Flour
- Drippings or Chicken Broth
Smoke the Turkey Breast
Step by Step Photos Above!
- Prepare Smoker – Start by preheating your smoker to 250 degrees. In a small bowl combine the olive oil, butter, garlic powder, dried basil, ground sage, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Prepare Turkey Breast – Rub the seasoning mixture on the inside of the turkey breast, then gently lift up the skin and rub it under the skin and on top of the skin. Make sure to flip the turkey breast making sure to get under the skin everywhere and on the outside.
- Smoke Turkey – Place the turkey breast into a large disposable pan and then pour the chicken broth into the bottom of the pan. Place in smoker and smoke for about 4 hours until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees. During the last hour, baste every 30 minutes. Once done, remove from smoker, wrap in aluminum foil and let rest for 30 minutes.
Make the Gravy!
- Start by melting your butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add in the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Once smooth, whisk in 2 cups of turkey drippings or chicken broth. Let cook for a couple of minutes then remove from heat. (It will thicken up)
How long to smoke a turkey breast
You’re going to want to smoke your turkey for about 4 hours and make certain that it’s reached an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees.
What should internal temperature be?
For your turkey to be done, it needs to have an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
Do I need to baste the turkey breast?
You will baste the turkey during the last hour of smoking by by brushing on the baste that is in the bottom of of the pan.
You can also use a baster to do this if you have one.
Can I use a boneless turkey breast?
You can if you want, but I really enjoy the flavor of having a bone-in turkey. It keeps it moist as well and really locks in that flavor.
What Wood Pellets Should I use to Smoke a Turkey?
We recommend using a apple, cherry or hickory hardwood pellet. Apple will lend a soft and sweet smoke flavor while the cherry with add a subtle, tart taste and the hickory ads a smokier flavoring.
For this recipe we used the hickory option and it was wonderful!
Make it a Meal with these Recipes!
That’s right! Make your entire meal on the smoker. These are the perfect complimenting recipes to your Smoked Turkey!
- Smoked Cheese Potato Casserole – Delicious potato casserole is made with hash browns and topped with a buttery Corn Flake topping then smoked for the ultimate flavor!
- Smoked Stuffing – Traeger Smoked Stuffing is perfect for your holiday dinners! It goes great with turkey, prime rib, roasted chicken or about any main dish.
- Smoked Crumb Apple Pie – A flaky pie crust topped with layers of apples and a sweet crumble on top.
If you love this Smoked Turkey as much as we do, please comment with a five-star rating! When you’re making a yummy recipe, be sure to tag me at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling, enjoy!
Smoked Turkey Breast
- 5-6 lb bone-in turkey breast
- 2 c. chicken broth
Smoked Turkey Breast Seasoning
- 1/2 c. olive oil
- 1/4 c. butter softened
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 c. turkey drippings or chicken broth
- 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
- Preheat smoker to 250 degrees according to manufacturer's directions.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, butter, garlic powder, dried basil, ground sage, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Rub the seasoning mixture on the inside of the turkey breast, then gently lift up the skin and rub it under the skin and on top of the skin. Make sure to flip the turkey breast making sure to get under the skin everywhere and on the outside.
- Place turkey breast in large disposable roasting pan.
- Pour chicken broth on the bottom of the pan. Place in preheated smoker.
- Smoke for about 4 hours until the internal temperature of the breast hits 160 degrees F. During the last hour of smoking baste it every 30 minutes.
- Remove from smoker, tent with aluminum foil and let rest 30 minutes before carving.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in black pepper.
- Slowly add flour, whisking continuously until mixture is smooth.
- Next, slowly whisk in 2 c. of turkey drippings or chicken broth into saucepan. Cook gravy for several minutes until it thickens up.