These smoked ribs are so delicious using the 3 2 1 ribs method. They literally fall off the bone after being smoked on an electric pellet grill. Smoking ribs doesn’t get easier than this which is perfect for beginners. If you just got a Traeger or are new to smoking meat start with these delicious ribs first! They are prepared with a dry rub, then placed on the smoke, brushed with BBQ sauce and then enjoyed by you!
Want to make ribs on the smoker and not sure where to start? Smoking Ribs can be overwhelming but you’ll want to try this easy and fool-proof way of preparing them. It’s called the 3 2 1 rib method and you’ll get amazing ribs every single time.
It’s starts with our homemade Dry Rub for Ribs that we absolutely love!
If you are looking to mix up your regular rib flavor you have to try these amazing Honey Mustard Smoked Ribs!
I’ll admit that I was a bit nervous about smoking ribs the first time we tried them because I had heard they were hard to make.
No worries, my friends, with this method for smoking your ribs you will have tender, juicy ribs every single time.
It’s the perfect method if you are nervous like I was!
Below we will give you step by step instructions plus tips and tricks so you’ll get the perfect rack of smoked ribs.
Ingredients for Smoked Ribs
- Pork ribs
- Yellow mustard
- Dry rub for ribs
- Bbq sauce
- Apple juice
- Brown sugar
- Plastic wrap
- Tin foil
- Applewood chips
Essential tools for this recipe – spray bottle to spritz the ribs.
What is the 3 2 1 rib method?
This is a fool-proof method to cook the most tender, perfectly cooked smoked ribs!
You’ll want to prepare your ribs by removing the membrane, coating with yellow mustard and rubbing with the homemade dry rub. We recommend doing this the night before smoking ribs.
- Smoke for 3 Hours – Preheat smoker to 225 degrees F and place the prepared ribs bone side down on smoker for 3 hours. Spritz with apple juice mixture every half hour.
- Wrap for 2 Hours – Remove ribs from smoker, lay ribs on tinfoil and pour BBQ and apple juice mixture into foil. Seal the foil so nothing leaks out and place ribs on smoker for an addition 2 hours.
- Sauce and Smoke for 1 Hour – Remove ribs from the smoker and brush with finishing BBQ Sauce mixture. Place back on the smoker, bone side down and smoke an additional 1 hour.
Remove from smoker and brush again with sauce and serve.
Why not 3 2 1 Rib Method?
I love this method because it creates fall off the bone tender ribs, but if you are entering a barbecue competition apparently that’s not what you want. For the rib gurus out there the perfect rib is tender and will pull away cleanly from the bone as you bite into it. It should not be so tender it falls off the bone and the bone slide out easily from the meat.
Now, for most people, fall of the bones are the best way to enjoy ribs, but you might find 5-10% of people that don’t agree.
Are fall off the bone ribs overcooked?
Technically yes as we stated above! You really want to be able to chew the meat off the bones. Not completely fall apart. But hey, I’ve made plenty of ribs that fall apart and I’ve never heard anyone complain!
Just saying! 😉
Remove the Membrane!
Check out the picture above. Here’s an important step to make tender ribs. Before you season the ribs, take a few minutes and pull the silver skin off the back of the ribs. Yes, it’s an extra step and it takes a little effort, but you’ll be really glad you did!
Bone Side Down
Make sure you smoked the ribs with the bone side down.
If you smoke the ribs bone side up the juices pool in the concave center of the bones which blocks the smoke from penetrating.
How long do ribs take to smoke?
This method takes 6 hours to smoke the ribs. Slow and steady is definitely the way to go here!
Make sure the thickest part of the rib is at 160 degrees F when measured with a digital thermometer.
See? This is what I was talking about! Lip-smacking delicious ribs that are perfectly cooked every time! Whether you’re an old pro with your smoker or a beginner this recipe will never fail.
Smoked Side Dishes to serve with Ribs!
Finish it with dessert!
If you love this as much as we do, please comment with a five-star rating! When you’re making a yummy recipe, be sure to tag me at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling, enjoy!
3-2-1 Smoked Ribs
- 2 racks ribs
- 4 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 batch dry rub for ribs
- 1/2 c. bbq sauce divided
- 1 c. apple juice divided
- 1 c. bbq sauce
- 1 ½ Tbsp honey
- 1 ½ Tbsp brown sugar
- spray bottle
- Remove the membrane from the back of the ribs be sliding a dinner knife under the membrane and over the bone. Left and loosen the membrane until it tears. Grab the edge of the membrane with a paper towel and pull it off. It might come off in one big piece of you will have to remove it in smaller pieces. This is ESSENTIAL so make sure you take it off.
- Prepare your favorite rub in a small bowl.
- Spread yellow mustard evenly over the ribs covering completely. Next, spread the dry rub over the ribs covering completely. Wrap in saran wrap so they are completely covered. Place in fridge to rest a minimum of 2 hours, but we do it overnight for best results!
- Prepare your smoker according to manufacture's directions to a heat of 225 F degrees. We use apple wood chips when making these ribs.
- Once the smoker is preheated to 225 degrees F place ribs, bone side down, on the smoker and let smoke for 3 hours at 225 degrees F.
- Mix together 1/2 c. apple juice and 1/2 c. water in a spray bottle and spritz ribs with mixture every half hour.
- After 3 hours remove ribs from smoker but leave smoke on at same temperature.
- Lay tinfoil out on counter (enough to wrap ribs in) and lay the ribs on the foil. Mix 1/2 c. bbq sauce and 1/2 c. apple juice together in small bowl. Pour it carefully over the ribs and seal up the foil so nothing leaks out. Place ribs back in the smoker at 225 degrees F for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours has passed remove the ribs from the smoker. Remove the ribs from foil. Mix together BBQ sauce, honey and brown sugar for the finishing sauce in a mixing bowl. Coat ribs with finishing sauce and place back on the smoker for 1 hour.
- Remove from smoker and brush with sauce again and serve!