Tender, fall off the bone Smoked Ribs that have a Honey Garlic sauce on them! These Traeger ribs are made using the 3-2-1 method which makes them simple and easy. They start with a rub, then are smoked. If you want to take your ribs to a new level make sure you try this Honey Garlic Ribs recipe! We can’t get enough of them!
Pretty obvious at this point I’m loving my Traeger, right? 🤣 It’s like having an extra oven right in the back yard.
You know…. one that I don’t have to take care of or stand over or stir things since it’s Jason’s domain – awesome!
Because the last recipe for smoking ribs that I shared was so popular, I thought it’s high time I shared another great pork rib recipe. I knew you’d agree!
Grocery list for Smoking Ribs
- For the ribs
- apple juice
- light brown sugar
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- smoked paprika
- Honey Garlic Sauce
- garlic minced
- brown sugar packed
- soy sauce
These honey garlic smoked ribs are epic.
I didn’t think it could get better after our first batch of ribs we shared with you but this sauce…
You guys, this SAUCE!
So much flavor and paired with a tender, fall off the bone rib. Epic.
What is silver skin? Why and how do you remove it?
To achieve super tender ribs there’s one thing you need to start with and that is removing the “silver skin” on the back of the ribs. (see above)
Pork ribs have a thin membrane (silver skin) on the back of the ribs. It can easily be removed by carefully sliding a knife between the skin and bones, then simply grab the edge and peeling it off. It may take a couple of tries.
If you don’t remove it, your ribs won’t be as flavorful, plus they will be chewy. The skin creates a layer that stops the rub from flavoring the meat. It’s an extra step, but totally worth it!
3 2 1 Ribs
We love using the 3 2 1 rib method because it’s easy and everyone can achieve delicious ribs off their smoker with this method.
What is the 3 2 1 Rib cooking method?
This is a method to cook ribs that breaks it into the 3 time blocks – 3 hours of smoking unwrapped – 2 hours of cooking wrapped in foil and one hour of cooking unwrapped basting with barbecue sauce!
This is a tried and true method that results in fall-off-the-bone tender ribs!
How to Smoke Ribs
When we first bought our first smoker I was a little overwhelmed at the idea of smoking ribs because of the time involved and the fact I thought it was complicated after watching shows on TV with professionals!
I realized it’s TV!
Using the 3 2 1 method it’s totally approachable and you get delicious results everyone will love.
Don’t be overwhelmed at the thought of smoking ribs. This recipe is straightforward and easy, but give you an amazing result.
How long to smoke ribs
- Using the 3 2 1 Ribs method, plan on six hours on the smoker – this will be how long it takes to smoke ribs
This is the BEST method for tender, flavorful ribs!
How Long to Smoke Ribs
As you can guess the answer to this is 3+2+1 = 6
It takes six hours. Yes, that’s a bit of time, but it’s a great recipe if you are around home on the weekend and have some time.
Plus, it’s totally worth the time invested. These are BETTER than a restaurants!
Steps to Smoking Ribs
- Remove the silver skin from the ribs
- Combine the rub for the ingredients and spread of the ribs. Wrap in plastic wrap so they are completely covered and refrigerate.
- Prepare your smoker to 225 F degrees.
- Remove the plastic wrap and place the ribs on the smoker bone side down. Let smoke for 3 hours at 225 degrees F.
- Mix together apple juice and water in a spray bottle and spritz ribs every half hour.
- After 3 hours remove ribs from smoker and lay on tinfoil.
- Mix honey and apple juice in a bowl and pour over the ribs. Seal the ribs carefully so the sauce doesn’t escape!
- Place ribs back on the smoker for another two hours.
- While the ribs are smoking prepare the honey garlic sauce.
- After 2 hours remove the ribs from the smoker. Remove the ribs from foil. Coat ribs with honey garlic sauce and place back on the smoker for 1 hour.
- Brush with sauce just prior to serving.
What to serve with smoked ribs
- Dinner Rolls on Smoker – I love these rolls!
- Grilled Corn on the Cob in Foil – big fan of corn on the cob, how about you?!!
- Grilled Caesar Salad – love the flavor you get from grilled romaine lettuce.
- S’mores Banana Boats – because these are just fun!!
Snap a photo and be sure to share your ribs on Instagram! Don’t forget to tag me @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling – I can’t wait to see how these turned out for you, I know you’ll love these ribs!
Honey Garlic Smoked Ribs Recipe
- 2 racks ribs
- 1 c. honey
- 1 1/2 c. apple juice divided
- 1/2 c. water
- 1/4 c. light brown sugar packed
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
Honey Garlic Sauce
- 1 c. honey
- 2 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1/4 c. brown sugar packed
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the rub. Spread the dry rub over the ribs covering them completely. Wrap in saran wrap so they are completely covered. Place in fridge for a minimum of 2 hours, but we recommend doing it overnight.
- Prepare your smoker according to manufacture's directions to a heat of 225 F degrees.
- Once the smoker is preheated to 225 degrees F place ribs, bone side down, on the smoker and let smoke for 3 hours at 225 degrees F.
- Mix together 1/2 c. apple juice and 1/2 c. water in a spray bottle and spritz ribs with mixture every half hour.
- After 3 hours remove ribs from smoker but leave smoke on at same temperature.
- Lay tinfoil out on counter (enough to wrap ribs in) and lay the ribs on the foil. Mix 1 c. honey and 1 c. apple juice together in small bowl. Pour it carefully over the ribs and seal up the foil so nothing leaks out. Place ribs back in the smoker at 225 degrees F for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile in a mixing bowl combine all ingredients for honey garlic sauce.
- After 2 hours has passed remove the ribs from the smoker. Remove the ribs from foil. Coat ribs with honey garlic sauce and place back on the smoker for 1 hour.
- Remove from smoker and brush with sauce again and serve!