This classic Potato Casserole is taken to a whole new level when you make it on your electric smoker! Smoked Cheesy Potato Casserole is made with hash browns and topped with a buttery Corn Flake topping then smoked for the ultimate flavor on your Traeger pellet grill. If you are looking to make a holiday meal on your smoker this needs to be on your menu!
If you love cheesy potatoes, then I have just the new side dish for you! Smoked Cheesy Potato Casserole – this one is full of everything you will love! Loads of cheesy and potatoes with the perfect crunchy topping – delish!! It’s also frequently called Funeral Potatoes because it’s often times served at funerals.
This dish is great for a potluck or a holiday meal, it’s one of my favorites side dishes to share! It’s great because it makes a huge amount. Which makes it perfect if you’re serving a crowd – and great for Easter!
- Frozen hash browns – Diced or Shredded, Make sure these are thawed when you are ready to bake your casserole.
- Cream of chicken soup – Any condensed “cream of” canned soup can be used.
- Sour cream – Adds a bit of tang and contributes to the creamy texture.
- Onions – I always grab the frozen chopped onions and use them as a shortcut! If you don’t have any onions just add some onion powder to replace them.
- Sharp cheddar cheese – I think a cheddar cheese gives this the best flavor, but Swiss, Jack or your favorite cheese will work. As always, buy the block and grate it yourself for best “meltability”.
- Seasonings – Pepper, Garlic Salt
- Corn flakes – Can substitute Rice Krispies, Panko breadcrumbs or crushed Ritz crackers
We always grab a disposable aluminum pan to make this in for easy clean up and since it will be on the smoker. A regular cake pan will work, but it might get damaged while it smokes.
Steps to Prepare
- Preheat the smoker to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9” x 13” foil pan with non-stick spray.Mix the potatoes, butter, sour cream, chicken soup, milk, onions, cheese, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Pour into prepared foil pan.
- Combine crushed corn flakes and butter. Sprinkle over potato mixture in foil pan.
- Place on smoker and cook for 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked and topping is golden brown.
If you want to make this a meal throwing in some cooked diced or shredded chicken or diced ham is amazing! You a cup of two of your desired meat. Even leftover ground hamburger that’s been cooked would be great. I think it would resemble our favorite Hobo Packets.
How to Use Fresh Potatoes!
If you’d rather use fresh potatoes instead of the frozen hash brown potatoes we recommend peeling and dicing your potatoes.
Then boil them until tender. After that just use them in the recipe to replace the hash browns.
You will need about 2 lbs fresh potatoes.
Prep It Ahead!
If you are serving this while having company or want to plan ahead you can assemble this Cheese Potato Casserole up to 3 days before you smoke it. Store it covered in the refrigerator.
When you are ready to smoke it simply remove from the refrigerator and let it sit out while your smoker comes up to temp. Then smoke as the directions state. It may take 10-15 minutes longer since it was cold when you put it on the smoker.
Love this cheesy potato casserole, but don’t want to smoke it this time?
Simply preheat your oven to 350 degrees and bake it for about 1 hour or until edges are bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
Crock Pot Directions!
This is a great option when you are hosting a party or coming home and need this recipe ready. Simply combine everything in the crockpot except the topping. We skip the topping when in the Crockpot, but sprinkle on a little extra cheese at the end of cooking.
It takes about 4-5 hours on low for this recipe in the slow cooker.
Make it a Meal!
- If you are nervous about making Prime Rib, put your fears away and make this delicious Smoked Prime Rib!
- Grilled Caesar Salad is a nice, light accompaniment to your cheesy potatoes!
- Cheesy Grilled Garlic Bread has perfectly crusty bread filled with cheesy, buttery garlic goodness!
- Don’t forget dessert? Whip this Grilled Apple Dump Cake in 10 minutes!
Love this recipe? Be sure to comment and leave a five-star rating below! Tagging me on Instagram will definitely make me smile! You can find me here at @gimmesomegrilling
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 30 oz frozen hash browns thawed
- 1/2 c. butter melted
- 10.5 oz cream of chicken soup undiluted
- 2 c. sour cream
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1/2 c. onions chopped
- 2 c. sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 c. corn flakes crushed
- 2 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat smoker to 350 degrees F according to manufacturer's directions.
- Spray a 9'' x 13'' foil pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl combine the potato mixture. Pour into prepared foil pan.
- In a small bowl combine crushed corn flakes and butter. Mix to combine. Sprinkle over potato mixture in foil pan.
- Place on preheated smoke and smoke for 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked through and topping is golden brown.
- Remove and serve immediately.