Are you ready to impress your guests? If you are, then you need to make this delicious Smoked Prime Rib recipe! It’s perfectly seasoned and smoked piece of beef. I prefer using a boneless prime rib, then seasoning the outside and smoking it so it has a delicious flavor by the end of the smoking process! It’s the perfect addition to any holiday dinner.
Smoked Prime Rib
If you love a great cut of beef and want to WOW your guests, a prime rib roast is a great meal! A perfectly cooked smoked prime rib is a showstopper at any meal! Slow smoking infuses the meat with the most amazing flavor and I’m here to tell you a little secret….
It’s a lot easier than you think!
If you want all my Traeger Recipes be sure and click here!
Smoked Prime Rib Recipe
Another little secret I’ll let you in on is this is the FIRST prime rib I’ve ever made and it was so amazing. What on earth was I waiting for?
How much does prime rib cost?
Because a Prime Rib is an expensive cut of meat ranging from $10-15/pound you’ll want to make sure you get it right! And again, it’s an easy meal to make, but I wanted to make sure I answered all-the-questions so you can be confident making this meal!
What cut of meat is the prime rib?
Prime rib is cut from the upper rib section of the steer. You’ll want to have a 5 pound roast to serve 10 people.
Is prime rib and ribeye the same?
No, they are not the same – the ribeye doesn’t have the surround meat and fat and isn’t quite as flavorful a cut of meat. Don’t get me wrong, the ribeye makes a fine steak, but this meal is all about the smoked prime rib roast!
Smoked Prime Rib Roast
This is the perfect meal to serve at holidays and is a very common dinner option for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter!
Due to the fact that’s an expensive cut of meat a lot of people save this indulgence for the holidays!
Grocery list for Smoked Prime Rib
- 5-pound prime rib roast
- spices: black pepper, garlic powder, dried rosemary, onion powder, brown sugar, kosher salt, dried thyme leaves
This may seem like a lot of herbs and spices, but this is a large cut of meat. Slowly cooked over time this imparts the BEST flavor!
What temperature do you smoke a prime rib?
Preheat your electric smoker to 225 degrees.
How many minutes per pound do you smoke a prime rib?
About 30 minutes per pound for medium rare. Rely on your meat thermometer for testing the temperature. Smoke until the internal temperature is 120 degrees for rare or 130 degrees for medium rare.
How to Smoke a Prime Rib
- Remove the roast from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature before putting on the smoker, a roast this size will take about an hour.
- Trim away excess fat from the top of the roast
- Combine the seasoning in a bowl, stir to combine. Rub the seasoning mixture all over the prime rib.
- Tie back prime rib if this is not done with butchers twine.
- Preheat your electric pellet grill to 225 degrees.
- Place the roast on the smoker, fat side up and smoke until the internal temperature the desired doneness.
- Remove the roast from the smoker and tent with foil.
- Allow to rest at least 20 minutes before slicing.
More delicious smoked recipes perfect for your holiday meal!
- Brine Smoked Turkey
- Smoked Top Sirloin Roast Beef
- Smoked Brisket
- Smoked Meatloaf Recipe
- Twice Smoked Spiral Ham with Honey Glaze
- and if you love a great steak, be sure to try Honey Bourbon Steak, YUM!
Delicious, seasoned Prime Rib made on your Traeger electric pellet grill for a delicious holiday dinner! Perfect recipe for entertaining!
- 5 lb boneless prime rib roast tied back
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme leaves
Trim any excess fat from the top of the roast, down to about 1/4'' thick.
In a small bowl combine everything except the prime rib. Stir to combine. Rub the seasoning mixture all over the prime rib. Tie back prime rib if this is not done with butchers twine. Let sit at room temperature for one hour.
Preheat your electric pellet grill according to manufacturers directions to 225 degrees.
Place the roast on the electric smoker fat side up and close the lid. Smoke until the internal temperature is 120 degrees F. for rare or 130 degrees F for medium. This will take about 3 1/2 hours.
Remove the roast to a cutting board and tent with foil. Allow to rest for 20 minutes. Slice and serve immediately.