Raise your childhood favorite Bologna sandwich up a level with this easy Smoked Bologna! A delicious rub will make your favorite sandwich meat over the top delicious. Pile it on a sandwich and serve it all your backyard parties.
Once you know how to smoke a bologna chub, you’ll skip the sliced bologna in the package! It’s one of our favorite smoker recipes – the whole family loves it.
If you love bologna sandwiches and you’ve got a smoker, you’ve got to try this recipe. Before we had a smoker I had no idea you could buy a whole bologna (called a “chub”)! Now we won’t buy it any other way – smoking it adds so much flavor and my simple rub takes it over the top.
Why You Should Smoked Bologna!
- This is a great recipe to make on a Saturday or Sunday and then snack on the smoked meat all week or great for meal prep for lunches on the go. Or make it for your next backyard party!
- Once you try this smoked bologna recipe, you’ll see what I mean. It’s so easy and so delicious with only three ingredients!
Ingredients Needed for Smoked Bologna
- Bologna – For this recipe, you’ll need to buy a whole bologna chub which you can find at most grocery stores. They are usually about five pounds.
- Yellow mustard – This keeps helps the rub stick to the outside of the bologna and also adds a nice tangy flavor!
- BBQ Rub – Try our favorite BBQ rub or use your favorite store-bought rub.
How to Smoke Bologna
Prep: Remove the outer casing on the bologna (if there is one) and then slice a cross-hatch or diamond pattern about one inch deep in the bologna chub. This will allow the mustard and rub to soak into the meat as well as the smoke once you cook it.
Season: Rub the mustard all over the bologna and then sprinkle the rub over the top.
Smoke it! Place it on the preheated smoker and leave it for two hours. After two hours raise the heat and cook it until it’s nicely charred and cooked to 165°F.
Rest: Once it’s cooked, let the smoked bologna rest for 10 minutes before slicing it. Or, keep it in the refrigerator to serve later.
How long does it take to Smoke a Bologna Chub?
The cook time is generally three to three and half hours. First, you smoke it at a low temperature for couple of hours to develop all the smoky flavor. Then you increase the heat so the outside gets a nice char.
The bologna temperature should be 165°F when it’s done.
What kind of wood pellets or wood chips should you use to Smoke Bologna?
We like to use apple, pecan, or cherry wood pellets for this recipe.
How to Serve Smoked Bologna
It’s amazing just sliced and served as it is but we love to make sandwiches with it.
Take thick slices and place them on bread or buns and add your favorite condiments like mayo, mustard, or ketchup.
You can also make BBQ smoked bologna sandwiches on toasted buns with your favorite BBQ sauce. If you like coleslaw go ahead and add some to the sandwich like you would with a pulled pork sandwich.
How to Store Leftover Smoked Bologna
Store the leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will keep for up to a week!
This is such a great recipe for cookouts any time of year! You will love the smoke flavor – it takes a humble slice of bologna to a whole new delicious level. Give it a try soon!
More Smoked Meat Recipes
- Learn how to make the best Smoked Brisket that’s bursting with flavor!
- Smoked Chicken Breasts are so easy to make and have a great flavor. Pair them with a favorite side or use them to make a delicious salad.
- Smoked Pork Butt makes the best pulled pork sandwiches!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
- 5 pound Bologna chub
- 1 Tablespoon Yellow mustard
- ¼ cup BBQ rub
- Preheat smoker to 180 degrees Fahrenheit according to manufacturer’s directions.
- If there is an outer casing on the bologna chub remove it.
- Slice the bologna chub in a cross-hatch pattern, 1-inch apart and 1-inch deep.
- Apply yellow mustard to the outside to act as a binder and sprinkle the BBQ rub over the outside liberally.
- Place the chub onto the smoker’s grill grates and smoke for 2 hours in preheated smoker at 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Increase the temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for another 1 to 1 ½ hours until the bologna chub is at 165°F and charred to your preference.
- Remove and let sit for 10 minutes, slice and serve immediately or chill for later.
Leave a Comment