This Homemade BBQ Sauce is zesty, and spicy-sweet! It’s so easy to whip up and enjoy on your favorite grilling recipes or to dunk your favorite meat in! Make this Sweet BBQ Sauce today!
Sassy and Sweet BBQ Sauce
Life’s too short to eat bland, boring food, wouldn’t you agree? I thought you would, that’s why I’m sharing my tasty recipe for sweet bbq sauce. A little spice (not too much!) and a little sweet, this sauce has that bit of a tang that you are totally going to love!
How do you make basic BBQ sauce?
Making barbecue sauce is easier than you think! Trust me there is no reason to run to the store when you realize you don’t have any sauce in the pantry. Just use these basic ingredients;
- brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce – to give it that zing!
Mince the garlic and combine the ingredients. Add it to a pan on the stove and bring it to a boil. The sauce will store in the refrigerator up to a week!
This has been my go-to sauce for years. It’s easy to make and simply delicious! I love that zesty bite and the sweetness of this recipe. It’s easy to make and tastes a hundred times better than what comes out of a jar!
Why wouldn’t you make your own?
So do you have a “dry” or “wet” barbecue preference? It’s certainly a big debate!
Who makes the BEST bbq sauce?
- Texans (many!) will tell you to visit the Salt Lick just outside of Austin, Tx. Great bbq and their sauce has a lot of tang with mustard and just a little vinegary bite. Texans also use that same sauce on their potato salad!
- Pappy’s Smokehouse in Memphis boasts top-rated bbq with a choice of four sauces, the Original, Sweet Sauce, Hot Sauce but I have to tell you the VooDoo Sauce has me intrigued!
- North Carolina serves up a different type of sauce. This thin sauce has a base of vinegar and spices.
There’s South Carolina sauce, Kansas City BBQ Sauce and more. Honestly, we could get into the great debate here! What type of sauce do you prefer?
Grocery list for Sweet BBQ Sauce
- brown sugar
- chili sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce
What type of meat is best with Sweet BBQ Sauce?
Pork and chicken are excellent slathered with a sweet barbecue sauce. Hot links basted in sauce are also terrific! I’ve even added barbecue sauce to baked beans!
When should I apply barbecue sauce?
Slather on the sauce when your meat is about ten minutes from completion. Lightly brush it on in a couple of layers as the meat continues to cook.
Because the sauce contains sugar, avoid particularly hot areas of the grill so you don’t burn the sauce or overcook the meat. After the meat has finished cooking, add an additional layer of sauce. This will create a mouth-watering candied layer over the meat, YUM!!!
I like my barbecue sauce applied and then charred just a bit on the food. Serving a side bowl of sauce with your meal ensures those that want a little extra dunking sauce will have plenty!
More great BBQ sauce recipes!
Homemade BBQ Sauce from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
30 Minute Homemade BBQ Sauce from Julie’s Eats and Treats
Sweet Barbecue Sauce from Curious Cuisiniere
I know you’re going to love this sauce! If I were you, I’d make a double batch. It’s great to serve table-side for dunking! Plus leftovers are tucked in the fridge or easily frozen for your next barbecue, or to top off BBQ Little Smokies, YUM!
What do you think? Be sure to leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star comment below!
Shop Our Spices
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 c. ketchup
- 1/4 c. brown sugar packed
- 1/4 c. chili sauce
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 dashes hot sauce
- Saute garlic in butter in a large saucepan. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and store in air tight container in fridge.