Homemade Smash Burgers
Learn how to make the best homemade smash burgers. These burgers are so simple to make and have an amazing flavor. All we use is butter, ground beef and our favorite beef seasoning. Top them with a slice of melted cheese and pile them on a toasted bun. Optional toppings can be lettuce, tomatoes and fried onion!
Wondering what exactly a Smash Burger is or why it’s amazing? It’s a burger that starts as a “ball” of meat and is smashed down once it hits the griddle. This gives it an amazing signature crust with so much flavor.
Those nooks and crannies that are created when it’s smashed then it crusts up and creates a ton of flavor.
Personally, I think they are best on a outdoor griddle like the Blackstone, but they can be made in a cast iron skillet indoors to which will still give them that amazing flavor.
If you don’t have either of those options a indoor griddle or frying pan will work too, but might not create that amazing flavor like cast iron.
You can pile as many burger toppings on as you like, but I like a double decker burger with a toasted bun. You don’t need the extra toppings because there’s so much flavor!
Ingredients Needed for Smashburgers
- Ground beef – You want some fat in this as this gives it flavor and doesn’t dry out. We recommend a 80/20 blend.
- American cheese – Grab the block of slices not the individually wrapped ones. Get the “real cheese”. It melts better and tastes better! Also, make sure it’s American cheese not cheddar for the best “meltability”.
- Hamburger buns – These don’t have to be huge ones as your burgers won’t be massive.
- Butter – We used a salted butter, some recommend clarified butter, but we used salted butter and thought it was amazing. I think even unsalted would work in a pinch.
- Beef seasoning – You can use your favorite seasoning for burgers or a simple salt and pepper sprinkle will work great too!
The first thing you want to do is heat your griddle, flat-top or cast iron skillet to medium-high heat. In this recipe I’m going to refer to it as a griddle because that’s what we used to make these burgers, but you can use any of the surfaces to make them.
After your cooking surface is hot (you need it HOT to create that crust on the burger!) pour about half of the butter on the surface. Then spread it around with the back of your spatula.
Then place the balls of meat into the cooking surface with butter. Smash these down with a burger press or the back of your spatula. If your spatula bends or isn’t heavy duty enough use another spatula on top of it to press down with the other one.
Sprinkle seasoning on top of burgers and let cook from 3-4 minutes. You want a nice crust on these before you flip them. That’s what gives them that amazing flavor.
Flip the burgers over, season them again, place a slice of cheese on top and let them cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until they are cooked to your desired doneness.
The USDA recommends cooking ground beef to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Use an instant read meat thermometer to check the internal temperature.
After you flip the burgers spread butter on the other side of your griddle. Then place buns cut side down on prepared surface.
Brush the remaining butter on the tops of the buns and let toast for 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully as they will brown quickly.
If you have a second burner turn it down to low heat so they don’t burn.
You might not have room to cook these on a indoor flat-top or cast iron pan. After you remove the burgers from the cooking surface, toast your buns then assemble.
After buns are toasted and burgers are done pile them on toasted buns. Top with desired toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, burgers sauce etc.
Another great option is to make these a double cheeseburger by using to of the Smash Burgers in one bun!
How to Make Grilled Onions
Want grilled onions on your Smashburger? They are so simple to make!
Spread some butter down before you make the burgers. Add one thinly sliced yellow onion to prepared surface. Let them cook until they began to soften.
Then place the meat “ball” on top of them, smash and season. Cook 3-4 minutes then flip, season and place a slice of cheese on top. Let cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
Toast buns according to the recipe.
MAKE IT A MEAL!
- Go All-American and grill up some Corn on the Cob with this for an easy summer meal!
- Burgers with Baked Beans are always a hit and such an easy meal to throw together for the weeknight or to entertain with on the weekends!
- Got fresh Green Beans? Try this Grilled Green Beans in a Foil Packet for a new twist!
Tag me on Instagram when you make this @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling – love to see your delicious eats!!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
- 2 80/20 ground beef
- 8 slices American cheese
- 8 hamburger buns
- ¼ c. melted butter divided
- 1 Tbsp beef seasoning or your favorite seasoning, or salt & pepper
- Preheat Blackstone Griddle, flat-top griddle or 12'' cast iron skillet to medium-high heat.
- Divide the ground beef into 8 equal sections. Gently form into loose balls, set aside on plate.
- Pour about half of melted butter onto cooking surface, spread around with back of spatula. Place the meat into cooking surface. Smash the ball flat with a spatula or burger press.
- Season with beef seasoning. Cook fro 3-4 minutes, flip burgers, sprinkle with seasoning and add a slice of cheese. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until cooked to preferred doneness. Remove from heat and place on toasted buns.
- While the burgers are cooking spread more melted butter on other side of griddle (if you are using a cast iron skillet do this after you remove the burgers). Place the buns cut side down on griddle. Brush more butter on the tops of the buns, toast for 1-2 minutes or until the inside of the bun turns golden. Watch careful they will cook fast.
- Remove the buns and meat from the grill. Place burgers on buns and serve with additional toppings if desired.
Leave a Comment