Smoked Hamburgers are such an easy recipe to prepare on your smoker! These Traeger Burgers are juicy and full of flavor from being slow cooked on your pellet grill. You might not ever eat a burger another way. I love that this recipe is made with ingredients you have on hand and is super simple, but has an amazing flavor that will have your family and guests raving about them. You’ll never go back to boring old burgers again after you make these juicy burgers!
Hambugers hot off the grill are amazing, but dare I say a Smoked Burgers are even better?! Smoked at a slow temperature makes them so juicy and full of smoky flavor.
This is my favorite way to make a burger now and I know it’s going to be yours too!
Why You’ll Love this Smoked Burgers Recipe!
- Best part is it requires minimal ingredients. You can patty your own burgers with pantry staples!
- Prep time is about 5 minutes! That’s right, and no babysitting the grill.
- Easy for a group. Prep your burger patties ahead of time, throw them on the smoker and let them be while you prep the rest of the food.
- No group? Make them for dinner because they are quick enough to serve any night of the week!
What do I need to make Smoked Hamburgers?
- Ground beef – Make sure you have a higher fat content to make burgers with. The smoke and heat can dry out your burger so look for a fat content of 15% or higher.
- Egg – Acts as a binder to hold the burger together.
- Salt and Pepper – Gives it flavor, or buy our beef seasoning and use that!
You can totally make each burger it’s very own with a topping bar. Here’s a few of our favorite Traeger Burger toppings.
- Bacon – Smoke it with the burgers to make it over the top!
- Barbecue Sauce
- Cheese – Grab a thick cut slice of cheese, cheddar is the go to for us here but there are so many great options. Pepper jack is another great one if you want a little heat.
- Buns – Brioche buns are great because it’s got a little sweetness or a pretzel bun if you want to make it a bit fancy. Remember to toast them before serving.
How to smoke hamburgers
- Prep Smoker – Preheat your smoker to 325 degrees
- Make Patties – Combine the beef, egg, salt and pepper. Form four patties.
- Smoke – Place the patties on the preheated smoker for 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the patties and don’t forget to toast the buns.
Make sure you are gentle with the meat. Overworking the meat can make the burgers tough.
To avoid overworking the meat use a burger press to form your burgers.
Also, don’t smash your burgers. You will squeeze out all the juice and end up with a dry burger.
How long does it take to smoke burgers at 325?
It will take about 30 minutes to smoke the burgers at 325 degrees or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can you cook on the smoke setting on a Traeger grill?
Yes the smoke setting is for cooking and adding that delicious smoke flavor to your food as it is smoking!
What temp are burgers done?
The burgers will be done when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit according to the USDA, but if you’d rather cook it different there is a chart below to help you out.
Do NOT cook to color. The burgers will still be pink when they are done. This is because smoking causes a chemical reaction to the meat that turns it slightly pink.
|Rare||125 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium Rare||135 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium||145 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Medium Well||155 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Well Done||160 degrees Fahrenheit|
What Wood Chip Should I use to Smoke Burgers?
A stronger wood chip is recommended for smoking burgers because they aren’t smoked on the Traeger for very long. Great options are hickory, oak or mesquite wood chips.
Should I flip burgers when Smoking them?
It’s actually not necessary to flip your burgers when cooking them on a Traeger. You can if you’d like, but only flip once so the juice doesn’t drain out. You want to keep the flipping to a minimum so you have a juicy burger at the end.
Here are some of my favorite recipes to serve with this meal!
- Grilled Caesar Salad – delicious charred flavor that everyone enjoys!
- Instant Pot Potato Salad – we LOVE this potato salad! Plus it’s quick and easy to make!
- Seasoned Potatoes on Smoker – cook your sidedish side-by-side your meal!
- Round out your meal with Smoked Crumb Apple Pie so delicious!
A few more of my favorite burgers recipes from the blog!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
- 1 pound ground beef 15% fat content or higher
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg whisked
- 4 hamburger buns
- Preheat your smoker to 325 degrees F according to manufacture’s directions.
- In a large mixing bowl gently combine all ingredients. Make into four patties, about a 1/2” bigger than your burger bun.
- Place your patties on the preheated smoker. Smoke for about 30 minutes or until your internal temperature of your patties is 160 degrees F for a well done burger according to FDA guidelines.
- Remove the patties and toast buns over high heat. Assemble your smoked burgers on toasted buns with desired toppings.
- It will take about 30 minutes to smoke the burgers at 325 degrees.
- Yes the smoke setting is for cooking and adding that delicious smoke flavor to your food as it is smoking!
- The burgers will be done when the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
Leave a Comment