An appetizer that only has three ingredients, yet will get you rave reviews from your guests at your next party! This quick and easy Smoked Cream Cheese is the perfect appetizer when you host your next party or easy to take with. You only need cream cheese, rub and olive oil and it’s hands off smoking. Plus, you can serve it hot or cold.
We love to grab bagel chips, pretzels, crackers, vegetables or chips to serve this easy smoked appetizer with, but really the options are endless.
If you have leftovers (which we doubt you will!) you can stuff chicken breasts with it, add it to a sandwich, lather it on a bagel and so much more. In fact, maybe double the recipe just to have leftovers!
Why this Recipe Works!
- It only requires three ingredients, cream cheese, rub and olive that you probably already have in your house!
- So easy to make with only 5 minutes of prep time. Just rub the cream cheese, drizzle olive oil and smoke!
- Easy to mix it up! This recipe is so versatile. You can serve it warm or cold. Change up the rubs, dippers, use leftovers as a sandwich spread and so much more.
What do I need to make Smoked Cream Cheese
- Cream Cheese – Grab the full fat version and we use the name brand Philadelphia Cream Cheese.
- Rub – We used our sweet and smoky rub and BBQ rub on these two versions.
- Olive Oil
How to Smoke Cream Cheese
- Prep – Preheat smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Score Cream Cheese – Place unwrapped cream cheese in the center of a disposable foil pan. Gently score it with a kitchen knife with cuts that are about 1/4” deep. You can make any design you want, but think the more scores the more smoke flavor because that area will open up to the smoke as it cooks.
- Season – Generously sprinkle cream cheese with your favorite rub, turning to completely cover the bottom and all sides of the cream cheese. Pour olive oil over the top of the cream cheese.
- Smoke – Place the pan with cream cheese on preheated smoker and smoke at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for about 2 hours. When it is done the scores will have opened up and the cream cheese will have darkened from the smoke.
- Serve – You can either serve it immediately or let it cool and serve it cold with crackers or chips.
What wood chips should I use?
You can actually use any wood chip you would like! We used a competition blend, but cherry or apple would be great too. Even hickory, pecan or oak wood work. Really anything you have in your smoker is good to go.
Do I serve Smoked Cream Cheese Warm or Cold?
This is really a personal preference. We like to serve it warm with crackers, bagel chips or pretzels.
You can also serve it cold and serve it with the same dippers.
This is what makes it the perfect appetizer recipe because you can prepare it ahead of time and serve it cold, which makes it easily transportable. Or prepare it right before the party and pull it off the smoker, serve your friends and family and wow them with a warm dip!
Taco – Use a taco seasoning and serve it with tortilla chips. This would make an amazing base layer to Taco Dip too!
Everything Bagel – Season it with Everything Bagel seasoning and use it as a spread for your bagels or dip pretzels or bagel chips in it.
Cinnamon and Sugar – A sweet version is just as delicious as it’s savory cousin. Pair it with apple slices, pretzels, pita chips, Nilla Wafers etc.
How Long Does Smoked Cream Cheese Last?
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to four days. You can serve it cold from the refrigerator or warm it up and enjoy it warm!
Smoked Cream Cheese FAQs
- Make sure to score the cream cheese. It will separate along these cuts as it smoke which allows the smoke to adhere to more surface giving it a smoky flavor. Essentially, the more cuts the more openings.
- If you don’t have a disposable pan just take a couple pieces of aluminum foil, folded on the edges, to create a pan to cook it on.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes!
- Level up your chip dip with this easy Smoked Queso Dip! So much flavor and it gets better when it’s a day old!
- Got a sweet tooth? Try these Smoked Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels that are perfect for a snack, bringing to a party or as a gift around the holidays.
- Nothing beats a batch of Smoked Mushrooms with Garlic Butter! Serve them at a party and impress your guests with this easy appetizer.
- Once you start eating these Smoked Taco Pretzel Bites you won’t be able to stop! These are great for holidays, parties, watching the game and so much more!
Shop Our Spices
- Preheat smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place unwrapped cream cheese in the center of a disposable foil pan. Gently score it with a kitchen knife with cuts that are about 1/4'' deep.
- Generously sprinkle cream cheese with your favorite rub, turning to completely cover the bottom and all sides of the cream cheese.
- Pour olive oil over the top of the cream cheese.
- Place the pan with cream cheese on preheated smoker and smoke at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for about 2 hours. When it is done the scores will have opened up and the cream cheese will have darkened from the smoke.
- Serve it immediately or let it cool and serve it cold with crackers or chips.