Smoked New York Strip Roast
If you are looking for a great roast to put on the table for the holidays, Sunday dinners or just because you need this Smoked New York Strip Roast! It’s so easy to smoke with a simple beef rub and hardly any prep. The result is a juicy, tender and delicious piece of meat anyone can make.
*This post was developed in partnership with Tyson Fresh Meats, Inc. All opinions expressed are my own.
Looking for a super easy recipe to prepare on your smoker that still tastes amazing? This Smoked New York Strip Roast is the recipe you are looking for. It’s easy enough to make any day of the week, but fancy enough to serve for Sunday dinners with the family or even holiday meals!
All you need to do is make your rub and apply it to your Star Ranch Angus® strip roast, then smoke it low and slow.
This cut of beef is a great alternative to prime rib on your dinner table and is a little bit more affordable.
Check out the store locator for where to find Star Ranch Angus® near you.
- New York Strip Roast – This can also be called a strip loin, top loin roast or even just a strip roast. This cut of meat comes from the loin area behind the backbone. These muscles are not used very much which results in a tender, juicy and flavorful cut of meat.
- Beef Rub – A mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar, garlic powder, black pepper, onion, powder, white sugar and smoked paprika. This mixture needs to be applied liberally to the entire roast.
How to Smoke a New York Strip Roast
- Preheat the Smoker – We used a oak pellet which worked great but any mild flavor will be great. Set your smoker to 225 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare Roast – Mix up the rub ingredients and liberally apply it to you roast.
- Smoke – Place the seasoned roast on the smoker and let it smoke for about 1/2 hour for every pound of roast. We used a nine pound roast and it took about 4 1/2 hours to reach medium-rare at 130 degrees Fahrenheit. We highly recommend using a thermometer to monitor your internal temperature. This is the best way to get the perfect, juicy and delicious roast.
- Rest and Serve – Remove the roast from the smoker when the internal temperature has been reached. Tent with foil and let rest for about 20 minutes. Remember it will rise another 5 degrees while resting so factor this in.
We have found out that if you smoke this at 225 degrees Fahrenheit it will take about 1/2 hour per pound to smoke to medium-rare.
Remember to take your roast out about 5 degrees before the desired temperature is reached because when you tent it and let it rest it will raise another 5 degrees.
Rare: 120 degrees
Medium-Rare: 130 degrees
Medium: 140 degrees
If you have any leftovers store them in an air tight container in your refrigerator for up to three days. This roast is best enjoyed fresh and will lose some flavor when reheated.
When you tent the roast it lets it rest and allows the juices to be redistribute through the roast making the carving process easier and the meat more tender and juicy.
Pair it with these recipes to make a meal!
- Every beef recipe needs a side dish of potatoes and this Smoked Cheesy Potato Casserole is so easy to make and the perfect side dish!
- A light and flavorful salad that can be served this roast is Grilled Corn Salad bursting with flavor.
- Need a dessert? Make these juicy, delicious Grilled Peaches topped with cinnamon, honey and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Tag me on Instagram when you make this @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling – love to see your delicious eats!!
For more recipes featuring delicious Star Ranch Angus® beef, be sure to check out the recipes page, here.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
Smoked New York Strip Roast
- 9-10 pound New York Strip Roast also called strip loin roast
- 1/4 c. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit according to manufacturer's directions.
- In a small bowl combine all the ingredients for the beef rub and mix together.
- Liberally season the roast with the beef rub making sure all sides are covered.
- Place roast on the preheated smoker directly on the grates. Close smoker lid and smoke for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours or 1/2 hour for every pound of roast approximately.
- When the internal temperature of the roast reaches 130 degrees Fahrenheit remove the roast from the smoker and place on cutting board on in a pan. Tent with foil and allow to rest for 20 minutes. While the roast rests the internal heat will come up to about 135 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice and roast and serve immediately.
Leave a Comment