Smoked Apple Bread with icing is a tender easy quick bread loaded with flavor. It’s packed with fresh apples, spices and finished with a powdered sugar icing. This Apple Bread can be made on an electric smoker or in the oven. We love preparing it on our smoker for a delicious subtle smoked flavor.
Easy Apple Bread!
Not only is this recipe super delicious, but it’s also such a fun way to surprise your family and friends. Can you imagine their faces when you tell them that they’re eating homemade bread straight from the smoker? Plus, this bread is so tender and bursting with fresh apples. That icing is the perfect touch!
We love making apple treats on the grill or smoker in the fall. It’s a great way to twist it up. A few of our other favorites are these quick and easy Baked Apples you can either make on the grill or in the oven, Smoked Crumb Apple Pie perfect for the holidays and my kids all-time favorite Apple Monkey Bread!!
What do I need to make Apple Bread?
If you’d rather skip my (very helpful, I think) tips and tricks, essential cooking info, and similar recipe ideas – and get straight to this delicious easy Baked Apple Bread recipe – simply scroll to the bottom of the page where you can find the printable recipe card.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- White sugar
- Baking apples
Make certain to scroll down to the bottom of the post to get the ingredients needed for the frosting!
How to make Apple Bread?
Step by Step Photos Below
- Prepare Smoker – Preheat it to 350 degrees F according to manufacturer’s directions. We love using apple chips or a hickory blend.
- Prepare Batter – Mix together sugar, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Stir in the dry ingredients until combined. Gently fold in chopped apples. Transfer batter to greased loaf pan.
- Smoke Bread – Place loaf pan on smoker on top of a rimmed baking sheet that has been turned over. Smoked for 65-70 minutes or until bread tests done.
- Cool Bread – Remove from smoker and cool 10 minutes on wire rack. Run bread knife along outside of the loaf of bread and turn out of pan. Finish cooling on wire rack.
How to Make Icing?
Step by Step Photos Below
- Make Icing – Combine icing ingredients in bowl and mix until smooth. Drizzle over top of cooled bread.
What kind of apples to use in Apple Bread?
Jonagold is a great variety to bake with. It is tart but with a honeyed sweetness and it holds up great when baking. Honeycrisp is another great option. They hold firm when baking with a crisp texture. If you’re wanting your apple to be a bit tart, you can always opt for a granny smith apple as well.
We highly recommend putting a rimmed baking sheet, flipped upside down on your smoker then setting your loaf pan on top of that. This will help prevent any over-browning of the bottom of the bread.
How to test if quick bread is done
The easy way to test and see if the bread is done is that you’ll stick a toothpick or a butter knife into the middle of the bread once it’s baked for the duration of time that is listed on the recipe card. If the toothpick or knife comes out clean, it’s done and ready to serve!
Can you freeze Apple Bread?
You can! I recommend freezing it if you aren’t able to consume it within 48 hours of baking it. That way you’ll still retain the freshness to be able to enjoy at a later point in time.
How to store leftover Apple Bread
In order to keep the bread moist and fresh, you’ll want to make certain that you store it in an airtight container or bag.
While these aren’t necessary by any means, you can also consider adding in some of these extra ingredients to change up the texture and taste:
- Chops pecans
- Chocolate chips
- Dried cherries
More Apple Recipes!
When it’s fall there’s nothing better than enjoying a apple dessert or treat. Here are a few of our favorite ways to enjoy apples on our grill or smoker!
- Baked Apples – Tender, juicy apples that are stuffed with an amazing oatmeal crumble.
- Campfire Apple Crisp Foil Packets – Delicious foil packets stuffed with your favorite apple crisp are perfect for making on the grill, over the campfire or in your oven!
- Apple Monkey Bread on the Grill – Easy and delicious Monkey Bread stuffed with tender, juicy apples and topped with icing
- Smoked Apple Crumb Pie – A flaky pie crust topped with layers of apples and a sweet crumble on top.
You’ll love this delicious quick bread. No one can say no to a warm slice of Apple Bread. Be sure and swing back by and leave a five-star rating, because I know it’s a meal you’ll really love!
Apple Bread with Icing
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c. water
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 c. butter softened
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 c. white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large baking apples peeled, cored, finely diced
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat smoker to 350 degrees F according to manufacturer's directions
- Grease standard loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sugar, softened butter and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy using a stand mixer or handheld mixer, about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes. Do not over beat.
- Stir in dry ingredients until combined. Gently fold in the apples.
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan.
- Tuna rimmed baking sheet or empty cake pan upside down and lay it on the grill grate. Place the loaf pan on top. The baking sheet will keep the bottom of the loaf from overcooking.
- Bake in smoker for 65-70 minutes or until the loaf is nicely browned and has begun to pull away from the sides of the pan. You can also insert a tooth pick in the middle of the loaf. When it comes out clean the loaf is done baking.
- Transfer the pan with the bread to a wire rack for 10 minutes to cool. Run a table knife around the outside of the pan to loosen bread then gently turn out of the pan. Finishing cooling on the wire rack.
- While bread cools combine icing ingredients in a bowl. When the loaf is cool drizzle over the top of bread.
- You can also prepare this in your oven instead of the smoker. It be the same temperature for approximately the same amount of time.