Juicy Lucy Burger
A Juicy Lucy burger is the ultimate cheeseburger that was born in Minnesota! Two hamburger patties stuffed with cheese that’s grilled. The result is a hamburger that’s stuffed with ooey gooey cheese. If you are looking to take your cheeseburger recipe to the next level you have to try this!
Can you ever really have too much cheese on your cheeseburger? I don’t think so! And this cheesy Juicy Lucy recipe proves just that! Pair it with Grilled Sweet Potato Fries and you have an amazing dinner.
Pile the cheese-stuffed burgers on hamburger buns and get ready to enjoy every single bite. While it might be big enough to share, who says that you have to?
What is a Juicy Lucy?
Essentially, it’s a stuffed burger with cheese inside the burger instead of on top like a regular cheeseburger patty.
Who Made The First Juicy Lucy?
There are actually a couple of claims to fame for naming this burger. We know it started in a bar, either Matt’s Bar or the 5-8 Club, in Minneapolis, but the specific bar is a hotly contested topic in Minnesota!
Matt’s Bar actually misspells juicy and removes the “i” in it to make it the Jucy Lucy burger!
Why Is It Called A Juicy Lucy?
Just like above, there are a couple of versions of where the name came from as well. One of the funniest describes a patron biting into the burger and screaming out “that’s a juicy Lucy!” and the name stuck from there.
They’re so easy to make, yet look impressive when that ooey, gooey cheese runs out of the middles!
Ingredients Needed For A Juicy Lucys
- Ground beef – Use a high fat percentage for burgers so they are nice and juicy. This is not the time to use lean ground beef.
- Worcestershire sauce – The perfect zip and tang of flavor in your burger.
- Seasonings – A mix of garlic salt and black pepper give it that flavor.
- Extra sharp cheddar cheese – Grab the block of cheese and grate it yourself for the best melty cheese.
How to Make a Juicy Lucy Burger
- Make Beef Patties – Simply combine together all the ingredients except the cheese in a large bowl and form the mixture into patties. This recipe makes 8 hamburger patties.
- Assemble the Burgers – Once you have them made up and ready to go, take your first 4 patties, add a layer of cheese and then put the other 4 patties on top.
- Grill – Then grill them on your grill! You can also cook them in a cast-iron skillet on the stove or on grill pan.
Warning, after pulling it off the grill let it cool off for a few minutes because the middle of the burger has molten cheese that can scald the top of your mouth, so trust me, wait to bite into it!
Burger Topping Ideas
Don’t get me wrong, this stuffed cheeseburger doesn’t need any toppings but if you want to add some here are some ideas. Just be ready for a big burger!
- Top the burger patty with sliced jalapenos if you love some heat.
- Caramelized onions would be amazing.
- Add some sauteed mushrooms!
- Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, and mayo are a few sauces you might like to add, too.
What Tools Do I Need?
Since you can mix together the ingredients for the burgers easily, the only real tools that you’re going to need for this recipe are a grill pan or cast-iron skillet and your spatula.
What other kinds of cheese can I use?
Any good melting cheese will work in this recipe. I like sharp cheddar, but feel free to experiment! American cheese, pepper jack cheese, gruyere, mozzarella, Monterey jack… there are a lot of choices!
What If My Burger Puffs Up When Cooking?
Sometimes this happens. You can stop this by putting a thumbprint in the middle of your burger patty before you cook it. This helps to keep it flat and not puff up when cooking.
If you want to up your burger game, you need to give this stuffed burger recipe a try! Every bite is oozing with melty cheese. You’re going to love it!
More Burger Recipes!
Once you try this burger, you need to check out these other delicious burger recipes!
- Egg Burger
- The BEST Hamburger
- Taco Burger
- Cheeseburger Hobo Packets!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
Juicy Lucy Burger
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef 15-20% fat content recommended
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese cut into thin squares or rectangles
- 4 hamburger buns split, buttered and toasted
- Combine ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, and pepper in a large bowl; mix well. Form 8, thin patties from the beef. Each patty should be slightly larger than a slice of cheese.
- Divide the cheese and put on top of 4 of the patties. Top them with the remaining 4 patties, pinching the edges to form a tight seal.
- Preheat grill, a cast-iron or other heavy bottomed skillet over medium heat. Cook burgers until well browned, about 4 minutes. It is common for burgers to puff up due to steam from the melting cheese. Turn burgers and prick the top of each to allow steam to escape; cook until browned on the outside and no longer pink on the inside; about 4 minutes. Serve on toasted hamburger buns.
Leave a Comment