Mix up your vegetables with Roasted or Grilled Cauliflower Steak! They are perfectly seasoned to make these cauliflower steaks bursting with flavor. A healthy side dish on the grill or in the oven that doesn’t lack flavor!
Admittedly I’ve neglected my veggie lovers on the blog! Well, maybe that’s not true. I’ve shared yummy recipes for grilled corn on the cob, grilled green beans in foil packets and seasoned grilled sweet potato wedges. But grilled cauliflower?
Oh yes that’s a thing!
Have you ever had cauliflower steak? Oh my gosh, it’s soooo good! Cauliflower stepped up and became much more popular in the last couple of years.
I’ve made cauliflower steak on the grill and also in a cast iron skillet. Both work great and it’s an easy way to enjoy a delicious vegetable. The first thing we need to talk about is the best way to slice it – because unless you are able to cut them into steaks it’s a no starter.
Tips to slice cauliflower for grilling
- Choose a large cauliflower.
- Trim the stems and trim off the bottom of the core.
- Place core side down and slice down the middle of the cauliflower, slicing it in two.
- Continue slicing the cauliflower making about 1 inch slices. You’ll get about three slices from each head.
- Reserve the sides and any florets that pop off for another meal.
Can you cook cauliflower on the grill?
You bet! Grilling cauliflower steaks gives them a smokey flavorful bite. They get tender and delicious and it’s a great option for a lightened up main dish or a fun side dish!
Cauliflower Steak Recipe
Shopping list for Cauliflower Steak Recipe
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Garlic powder
- Smoked paprika
- Olive oil
How long does it take to grill cauliflower steaks?
Surprisingly it only takes about 10 minutes to cook the steaks on the grill. You’ll cook the vegetable until it is tender.
Grilled Cauliflower Steak
How to grill Cauliflower Steaks
- Preheat the grill.
- Remove the outer leaves from each cauliflower head.
- Slice off the bottom stem end so that you have a flat base to work from
Slice the cauliflower into 2-3 steaks
- Brush one side of the steaks with olive oil.
- In a small bowl mix together the salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Sprinkle over the steaks.
- Place cauliflower carefully on grill, grill 5 to 6 minutes.
- Flip and grill side two until the cauliflower is tender.
- Remove from the grill and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
The steaks are very fragile (which is why you slice them so thick) Be careful when you’re adding them to the grill and also when you flip them so they don’t break apart.
Can you grill cauliflower in the oven or on your stovetop?
Absolutely! When the weather turns or it’s too hot to grill outside, this meal can certainly be made on an indoor grill.
Ok… are you going to be able to convince the carnivores in your house that these are “steaks” – maybe… maybe not, but regardless grilled cauliflower steaks are completely delicious. This is a great grilled vegetable with delicious flavor, definitely something you should try soon!
Tag me when you do #gimmesomegrilling or on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling!
Be sure to swing back and leave a five star rating below also – I know you’re going to love this veggie!!!
More cauliflower recipes to try!
Mix up your vegetables with these delicious Roasted or Grilled Cauliflower Steaks! They are perfectly seasoned to make these cauliflower steaks bursting with flavor. A healthy side dish on the grill or in the oven that doesn't lack flavor!
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 c. olive oil
- 2 tsp parsley for garnish chopped
Heat a grill to medium or about 350 degrees F.
Remove the outer leaves from each cauliflower head. Cut off the bottom stem end so that you create a flat base and can stand the cauliflower up on a cutting board.
Resting the cauliflower on the stem cut the head into 2 very thick or 3 more moderate “steaks.” Reserve side or small pieces that break off in small bowl.
Brush one side of each cauliflower steak with the olive oil.
In a small bowl mix remaining ingredients except parsley. Sprinkle evenly over both side of cauliflower.
Place cauliflower carefully on grill, close cover and let cook for 5 to 6 minutes, until the bottom is beginning to char. Flip the cauliflower, then re-cover the grill and cook 5 additional minutes, until the cauliflower is tender. Remove from the grill.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley if desired. Serve immediately.
If you would like to roast the cauliflower in the oven follow these instructions instead of placing on the grill.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place seasoned cauliflower on baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in oven for 10-15 minutes. Gently turn over each steak and roast 15-20 more minutes or until tender and golden.
Save the rest of the cauliflower and sprinkle extra seasoning on them with olive oil. Place in grill basket and grill along side the steaks!