Smoked Steak Kabobs
Marinated pieces of Sirloin Steak, red onion, cherry tomatoes, Spanish Olives, Portabella Mushrooms and bell peppers make these Smoked Steak Kabobs amazing! An easy and quick dinner recipe on your smoker. They are perfect for an easy dinner for your family or a great option for entertaining family and friends.
Smoker recipes are usually 15 steps and 15 hours, but not this one! These easy, yet delicious, Smoked Steak Kabobs are ready fast enough you can serve them for a weeknight dinner.
Yet, they are fancy enough, packed with so much flavor that we love to serve them when we are entertaining!
Prep them before guests arrive, then throw them on your Traeger or favorite smoker, enjoy a few appetizers and drinks while they smoke.
The result is tender, mouthwatering pieces of steak and smoked vegetables everyone will love.
- Sirloin Steak – This is the steak we prefer for kabob recipes. It’s lean and budget friendly. You could use flat iron or strip steak, too.
- Vegetables – We used a mixture of bell peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes and mushrooms, but use whatever you have in the refrigerator or your favorite vegetables.
- Garlic and Pepper Steak Marinade – This is a premade marinade we enjoy, but you can use your favorite marinade or we listed a few homemade ones to try below.
Can I use a different Steak Marinade?
Yes! It’s an easy way to switch up the flavor in this easy kabob recipe. You can even make a homemade steak marinade.
Here are a few of our favorites.
Steps to Prepare Smoked Steak Kabobs
- Marinate – Pour the marinade in a resealable container. Add the cubed sirloin steak and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes in the fridge (sometimes we’ll start this in the morning and let it marinate all day), making sure to coat all of the steak.
- Preheat – Preheat the smoker to 250 degrees Fahrenheit with your favorite wood chips.
- Assemble – Place the steak, onions, cherry tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, and pepper on the skewers. Spoon the leftover marinade over the prepared skewers, discard any remaining marinade.
- Smoke – The steak kabobs will need to smoke for 60-90 minutes, until the steak has reached your desired doneness, turning once about halfway through the smoking process.
Expert Tip – Remember to soak your skewers if you are using wooden skewers!
What Kind of Wood Chips are Best for Steak Kabobs?
The best wood chips to use for steak are hickory, maple, pecan and oak. Each variety will lend its own unique flavor.
For this recipe we used a Hickory wood chip.
What should the internal temperature of steak be?
The best way to check when the kabobs are done is to check the internal temperature of the steak with an Instant Read Meat Thermometer.
Each person will have a different preference on what the internal temperature should be, but listed below is a guide.
We prefer ours in the 120-140 degree F range.
- Rare: 120 degrees F
- Medium Rare: 130 degrees F
- Medium: 145 degrees F
- Well: 160 degrees F
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Leftover kebabs make a great addition to salads. Perfect for an easy meal prep for lunch the next day.
The best way to reheat leftovers is in the oven. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Wrap the kabobs in foil then place them in the oven for 20-30 minutes to reheat. Wrapping them in foil will prevent them from drying out.
They can also be reheated in the microwave but this will dry them out more.
Make it a Meal!
- A Smoked Baked Potato that’s light and fluffy is always a great addition to these steak kabobs!
- Want sometime a little different then make Seasoned Smoked Potatoes!
- Don’t forget dessert! A scoop of ice cream on warm Smoked Strawberry Crisp is amazing!
Tag me on Instagram when you make this @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling – love to see your delicious eats!!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
Smoked Steak Kabobs
- 2.5 pounds Sirloin Steak cut into 2-inch cubes
- 12 oz garlic and pepper steak marinade or favorite steak marinade
- 1 red onion cut into wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 10 oz Spanish Olives
- 8 ounces Baby Portabella Mushrooms
- 2 Bell Peppers cut into wedges
- Pour the marinade in a resealable container. Add the cubed sirloin steak and allow to marinate at least 30 minutes in the fridge (sometimes we’ll start this in the morning and let it marinate all day), making sure to coat all of the steak.
- If using wooden steak skewers soak them in water.
- Preheat the smoker according to manufacturer's directions to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and set the marinade aside.
- Assemble the steak, onions, cherry tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, and pepper on the skewers.
- Spoon the leftover marinade over the prepared skewers, discard any remaining marinade.
- Smoke the steak kabobs for 60-90 minutes, until the steak has reached your desired doneness, turning once about halfway through the smoking process.
- Remove from the smoker and serve immediately.
Leave a Comment