This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Chicken Caprese – Healthy Dinner!This chicken recipe not only tastes amazing, but it’s healthy as well! You can absolutely create a delicious dish that doesn’t take much effort and have it taste as though it took hours to make. We love pairing this grilled chicken with Grilled Asparagus and Grilled Sweet Potatoes for sides. Everything is quick and easy, plus healthy so I feel good eating it and feeding it to my family!
Why this recipe works!
- During the summer prepare your chicken on the grill, but in the winter grab a grill pan and make it indoors if you’d like. Both tastes amazing!
- It’s quick and easy, but packed with flavor with minimal steps.
- Did we mention it’s healthy?
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – Make sure to try and buy chicken breasts that are the same size and thickness, or pound them to the same thickness. Another great option is to buy thin cut chicken breasts, which will cook faster and more evenly.
- Olive oil
- Seasonings – Kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil
- Tomato – Cut these thick or mix it up and use halved cherry tomatoes.
- Fresh mozzarella cheese – Make sure this is FRESH mozzarella it’s the key to getting that caprese taste.
- Balsamic glaze – Make sure this is not balsamic vinegar. See tips below on how to prepare it!
- Fresh basil – Don’t use dried!
Steps to Prepare
- Season Chicken – Brush olive over chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper. In a small bowl mix the garlic powder, dried oregano and dried basil. Sprinkle on chicken.
- Grill – Place chicken on outdoor grill or grill pan over the stove top. Cook 3-5 minutes per side or until internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees F. Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken breast.
- Top – Top with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese and cook for one more minute. Remove chicken from grill and place chicken on serving dish. Top each breast with a slice of tomato, basil and drizzle with balsamic glaze.
How do I make a Balsamic reduction?To make a balsamic reduction, simmer 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar over medium heat until it has reduced by 1/2.
Expert Tips!Pound out your chicken breasts to an even thickness to ensure even cooking. This will help to cook them evenly and a thinner side won’t be dry and overcooked or the thicker side won’t be cooked through. Make certain to slice the cheese and the tomatoes thick so that the flavors stay strong with the taste of the chicken! Using fresh mozzarella is the key to really bringing out that caprese taste and flavor.
What should I serve with Chicken Caprese?There are so many great dishes that you can serve! You can whip up some Easy Grilled Vegetables to have a nice, light side dish or even some Smoked Baked Potatoes as well.
More easy Grilled Chicken Dinner recipes!
- Bruschetta Chicken – Seasoned and grilled chicken topped with homemade bruschetta and balsamic glaze!
- Grilled Pineapple Chicken – Marinated, grilled chicken breasts topped with grilled pineapple slices.
- Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Burger – Delicious Grilled Chicken Breast that is marinated in a Teriyaki marinade then topped with grilled pineapple, red onion, cheese and a toasted bun.
Chicken Caprese is a quick and healthy dinner recipe. Seasoned chicken breast that is grilled and topped with Mozzarella, tomato, basil and a balsamic reduction.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- 4 thick slices of ripe tomato
- 4 ounce fresh mozzarella cheese sliced into 4 slices
- ¼ c. balsamic glaze or balsamic reduction
- ¼ c. thinly sliced basil
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over chicken breasts and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix together garlic powder, dried oregano and dried basil. Sprinkle over the chicken.
- Place the chicken on the grill or in the grill pan. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Cook time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts.
- When chicken is done top with a slice of mozzarella cheese and cook for 1 more minute or until cheese is just melted.
- Remove from heat and place chicken breasts on a plate. Top each breast with 1 slice of tomato, thinly sliced basil and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve.
- Pound out your chicken breasts to an even thickness to ensure even cooking. This will help to cook them evenly and a thinner side won't be dry and overcooked or the thicker side won't be cooked through.
- Make certain to slice the cheese and the tomatoes thick so that the flavors stay strong with the taste of the chicken!
- Using fresh mozzarella is the key to really bringing out that caprese taste and flavor.
- To make a balsamic reduction, simmer 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar over medium heat until it has reduced by 1/2.
Calories: 281kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 31gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 602mgPotassium: 558mgFiber: 1gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 1262IUVitamin C: 8mgCalcium: 178mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!