Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Grilled Sweet Potatoes are a simple and healthy side dish recipe prepared on your grill. They are great for summer grilling. Simply slice your sweet potatoes, toss with olive oil and seasonings then put on a grill while your main dish cooks.
Don’t you feel like sweet potatoes get the short end of the stick? I mean it’s like they are brought out in the winter for all their glory during Thanksgiving and then tucked away until the holidays roll around again!
And they are just too good for that, don’t you agree?!!
I’ll tell you a little secret… sweet potatoes are also delicious grilled – like this recipe for Seasoned Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges, YUM!
If you’ve ever wondered how to grill sweet potatoes, look no further! You’re going to love this easy side dish!!!
I bet you have all the ingredients in your pantry that you need to make these grilled sweet potatoes!
I love quick and easy side dishes like this that I can prepare right along my grilled main dishes like Grilled Ranch Pork Chops or Southwestern Grilled Chicken Drumsticks.
Throw some BBQ Baked Beans on the grill and you have an entire meal with minimal clean up right on your grill!
Ingredients needed for Grilled Sweet Potatoes
I love that I have all the ingredients to make this in my pantry usually. It’s the perfect side dish to throw together last minute for a grilled dinner.
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Smoked paprika
How to Make Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Prep Grill – Preheat gas grill to high.
- Prep Sweet Potatoes – Wash the sweet potatoes, peel if desired and slice into half inch rounds.
- Mix – Place sliced sweet potatoes into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients; olive oil, pepper, garlic salt and smoked paprika. Toss to combine.
- Grill – Lower heat to medium and add the potatoes to the grill and grill for about 10 minutes on each side or until soft when pierced. Transfer potatoes to a platter for serving. Check the seasonings, add more salt if desired. Enjoy!
Does it matter how they are sliced?
No, it doesn’t matter how they are sliced! You can choose to slice the potato in rounds or even lengthwise as a plank. Either way works!
What does matter is the thickness of the slice. To ensure all of the potatoes finish cooking at approximately the same time, be sure to slice them in a uniform thickness. The thicker the slice of potato, the longer it will take to cook.
Do I need to peel a sweet potato before grilling?
That part is totally up to you! Personally, I prefer non-peeled because I like the texture of the potato skin and also because it’s easier! Why peel it if you don’t have to, right? ?
Are yams and sweet potatoes the same thing?
Actually, they are two different types of potatoes. Sweet potatoes are orange in color where the flesh of yams are more orange, like the photos in this blog post.
Can you use yams in place of sweet potatoes for grilling? Absolutely! Yams aren’t quite as sweet as their cousin, but they would be equally as tasty in this recipe!
Use A Grill Pan!
Don’t have a outdoor grill? Maybe it’s winter and you don’t want to go outside to make these on the grill. Grab a grill pan and make them on the stove top instead.
How to Store Leftover Grilled Sweet Potatoes
If you have leftovers place them in an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Grilled Pineapple Pork Chops
- Italian Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Burger
- Chipotle Chicken Skewers – sweet potatoes and chipotle are a match made in heaven!
- Easy Smoked Pork Butt
- Honey Bourbon Steak
I love sweet potatoes because they are an easy side dish to have handy that can seriously feed a family or a crowd affordably! I know you’ll love them too because this dish is simple and easy but has so much flavor and is great with just about any main dish!
More great potato recipes you’ll enjoy!
- Smoked Baked Potatoes
- Smoked Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Seasoned Potatoes on Smoker
- Baked Potatoes on the Grill
- Cheesy Potatoes on the Grill with Bacon
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes cut into ¼’’- ½’’ discs
- 3 Tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat gas grill to high or grill pan. If cooking on the grill grates make sure to oil.
- Place sliced sweet potatoes into bowl and combine with olive oil, pepper, garlic salt and smoked paprika. Toss to combine.
- Lower heat to medium. Place potatoes on the grill and cook for about 10 minutes on each side or until soft when pierced. You can also place them on a grill pan if you don't want to cook them right on the grill grates.
- Transfer potatoes to bowl and season with more salt if desired. Serve warm.
Leave a Comment