Grilled Foil Packet Potatoes
It doesn’t get easier than these quick and delicious Grilled Foil Packet Potatoes with Onions! It’s the perfect side dish on the grill for an easy weeknight dinner. Just slice the potatoes and onions then add olive oil and seasonings. That’s it! You have a delicious grilled vegetables recipe that pairs great with burgers, chicken legs and so much more.
Making an entire meal on the grill is so handy and that’s why I love these Foil Packet Potatoes with Onions. They make the perfect quick and easy side dish when I’m grilling burgers, chicken, steak, smoking Tri Tip, and so much more!
Why this recipe works!
- They are so quick and easy!! Just slice the onions and potatoes then throw them in the foil packet with olive oil and seasonings. Plus, it’s ready in about 30 minutes.
- Clean up is a breeze! It cooks in a foil packet so you just toss that when they are done, plus you mix the seasonings, potatoes and onions right in the foil.
- No running back to the house to make the side dish. Cook it right on the grill with the main dish to make things simple!
- Potatoes – We used Yukon Gold Potatoes for this, they grill great, have a buttery flavor and hold up! Slice it about 1/4 inch thick.
- Onion – Make sure you peel the onion then thinly slice.
- Olive Oil – You could also use a salted butter if you’d you like.
- Garlic Powder – You’ll get a more even flavor by using garlic powder, but you could also used minced garlic if you prefer.
- Nature’s Seasoning – If you can’t find this simply replace it with ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ¼ teaspoon onion powder.
Steps to Prepare
- Preheat – Set your grill to medium heat and let it preheat while you prep the foil packets.
- Cut Potatoes & Onions – Slice the potatoes about 1/4” thick then peel and finely slice the onions.
- Assemble Foil Packet – Make the foil packet by placing one long rectangle of foil over a smaller square piece that can wrap around the top. Make sure your large rectangle is able to completely cover your potatoes. Add the potatoes and onions to the foil and pour on the olive oil plus the seasonings. Toss together to coat. Fold the longer rectangle up at the ends and then the square over the middle to seal the packet. I do like to leave a small slit open to allow the air to pass through. You can do that or seal it completely.
- Grill – Place the packet carefully on the grill. Cook for 25-30 minutes. Check your potatoes by piercing them with a fork. When they are fork tender they are done.
The best type of potatoes to grill is either a Yukon Gold or Red Potato. They will hold up their shape when you grill and not turn into mush. A russet would also work.
Yes! Just make sure to thinly slice them so they cook quickly. A great addition would be peppers! Other ideas would be sliced carrots, mushrooms etc.
Yes! You could switch out the seasonings and use a ranch seasoning or add a dish of chili powder. Our Montreal Steak Seasoning would be another great choice!
We topped the potatoes with a dollop of sour cream and chives. Freshly grated cheese is a great idea or even salsa, green onions etc. would be delicious.
Yes! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake them around 40 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Yes! Build a campfire and when the coals are hot place the foil packet on the coals (not the flames!). Cook for about 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Make sure to turn the packet a few times to cook evenly.
Make it a Meal!
Pair these easy foil packet vegetables with one of these main dishes on the grill!
- You can’t beat an All-American Classic like this easy Grilled Burger recipe. Top it with your favorite toppings for a go-to dinner during the summer!
- Tender, juicy BBQ Pork Tenderloin starts with a quick and easy homemade BBQ Marinade then grilled the tenderloin so it’s juicy and full of flavor!
- Love kabobs? Try these Steak and Vegetable Kabobs for juicy bites of steak and perfectly cooked vegetables.
- Kids and adults love to grab these Grilled Ranch Chicken Legs and dig in at any backyard BBQ!
Tag me on Instagram when you make this @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling – love to see your delicious eats!!
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
Foil Packet Potatoes
- 3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Nature’s seasoning or ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat your grill to medium heat and slice your potatoes and onions. You want to slice the potatoes to about ¼ inch thick.
- Make the foil packet by placing one long rectangle of foil over a smaller square piece that can wrap around the top. Make sure your large rectangle is able to completely cover your potatoes.
- Add the potatoes and onions to the foil and pour on the olive oil plus the seasonings. Toss together to coat.
- Fold the longer rectangle up at the ends and then the square over the middle to seal the packet. I do like to leave a small slit open to allow the air to pass through. You can do that or seal it completely.
- Place the packet carefully on the grill. Cook for 25-30 minutes. Check your potatoes by piercing them with a fork. When they are fork tender they are done.
- Remove, top with sour cream and chives and enjoy.
Leave a Comment