Delicious Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are perfect for your cookouts, barbecues and backyard parties! They are easy, flavorful and inexpensive! This easy grilled chicken leg recipe will be an instant hit and a favorite you’ll come back to all summer long!
Grilled Chicken Legs
I have fallen in love with the simplicity of grilling chicken legs! They are the perfect finger food for cookouts, picnics, and backyard barbecues. The kids love them and there’s something fun about grabbing a chicken leg and digging in when you are an adult! These Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks are the ultimate cookout dish for all of your summer parties!
Another thing I love about grilled chicken legs is that they are so inexpensive to make for a crowd! Typically you can score them for under $1 a pound. On top of that they are kid-friendly and really easy to grill.
My kids absolutely love chicken legs. Every time we go to our local pizza place for the buffet they eat their weight in them.
Finally it occurred to me that maybe I should try making these at home! We love to make them on the grill and our Airfryer too!
Grilled BBQ Chicken Legs
They have now moved to the top of our grocery list because they so inexpensive to eat and I always know the kids will eat them, which is about impossible to find these days! Finger food for the win!
Plus, why is it that sometimes it’s just fun to get a little dirty when you are an adult and eat with your fingers?
For some reason I feel that whenever we have a backyard cookout the food that’s finger food goes first! Just make sure you have some wet wipes around for everyone after they get done enjoying these BBQ Chicken Legs! They tend to get a bit messy because of that sweet, sticky BBQ marinade!
How to Make Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks:
First thing you want to do is whip up your BBQ Marinade. It’s only four ingredients so it won’t take long!
Next you will put your chicken legs in a Ziploc bag. Pour half of the marinade over the top. Squeeze as much air out of the bag as you can and seal it shut. Throw it in the refrigerate for at least a hour or up to overnight. Store the remaining marinade in a airtight container in the refrigerator.
When you want to grill the chicken legs preheat the grill to 350 degrees F. Place chicken legs on the grill. You will want the meaty end towards your heat source to cook them through. Baste them with remaining marinade. You will need to cook these for 30-35 minutes or until the internal temperature is 185 – 190 degrees F. Basting the legs as you rotate them, usually every ten minutes.
Yes, I know 165 degrees F is “done” with chicken, but I find with chicken legs you want them at a higher temperature to avoid the stringy chicken and sometimes bloody meat around the joints. It is what it is.
FOR MORE GRILLED CHICKEN RECIPES:
- Bacon Ranch Chicken Kabobs
- Caesar Grilled Chicken Breasts
- How to Grill the Juiciest Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Fajita Chicken Kebabs
- Grilled Chicken Taco Bowls
Grilled BBQ Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 lb chicken legs
- 1/2 c. bbq sauce
- 1/4 c. grape jelly
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- In a large bowl whisk the BBQ sauce, grape jelly, garlic and black pepper.
- Place chicken legs in gallon resealable plastic bag. Pour half of BBQ marinade over chicken legs. Remove air from bag. Marinated for at least one hour up to overnight.
- Store remaining marinade in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Preheat grill to 350 degrees. Place chicken legs on grill and base with some of the reserved BBQ marinade. Grill for 30 minutes, rotating every 10 minutes and basting or until they reach an internal temperature of 185-190 degrees F.