Fresh, juicy bratwursts simmered in beer and onions then finished over a direct flame make these Beer Brats full of flavor with a crispy and crusty exterior. With only three ingredients this is an easy recipe that will be a staple on the grill all summer long!
These fresh bratwursts on not your regular grilled brats! They are simmered in beer and onions then finished on the grill for the ultimate flavor. I’m showing you step-by-step how to make them! These brats are right up there with my best burger recipe for favorite summer meals.
Serve them on a bun with your favorite toppings for the perfect easy weeknight dinner, tailgating, or make them for a backyard party! Pair them with your favorite sides like potato salad and everyone will ask for seconds.
Ingredients Needed for Beer Brats Recipe
That’s right, just three ingredients in this classic bratwurst recipe.
- Fresh bratwursts
- White onion
- Amber beer
What brats are best to use?
For this recipe make sure you are using fresh bratwursts, not the pre-cooked ones.
You can usually find these at any grocery store in the meat department otherwise visit your local butcher.
What kind of beer is good for brats?
We recommend a good darker beer, but the best beer is one you like to drink!. We love to use amber beer, but a lager would be great, too. You will taste the flavor of the beer when you eat the brats, so it’s important you like the flavor you use.
We don’t recommend using IPA because the bitterness of the beer tends to come out when you grill brats.
What can you use instead of beer for brats?
If you don’t want to cook the brats in beer, you can simmer them in a few other things and they’ll still be delicious!
- Ginger ale
- Chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Apple juice or apple cider
How to Make Beer Brats
Some versions of this recipe have you place the beer, onions, and brats in a Dutch oven and simmer it in the oven or on the stovetop, but we are going to make it all on the grill.
Now, you can still simmer it if you want in the oven, but I thought why not skip heating up your kitchen and just make them on the grill in the heat of the summer!
- First, in a deep-sided disposable aluminum pan, layer sliced onions, and brats and then pour your beer on top. Cover it with foil.
- Place on a grill that’s preheated to 400 degrees F.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove brats and place them directly on the grill and grill for 5-10 minutes or until they’re charred and the skin is crispy. Rotate once during grilling.
- Serve the grilled brats with cooked onions, buns, and toppings
- Remember the onions you simmered the brats with? They are so delicious as a topping! Drain the liquid and then pile those sweet onions on your brat.
How to Make Them Ahead
If you’d like to make this beer brats recipe before a party simply cook the brats in the beer and onion mixture the day before.
The day you are going to serve them brown them on the grill right before serving them.
Slow Cooker Grilled Beer Brats
If you are entertaining and would like to cook and serve these in the slow cooker for an easy grab and serve yourself type of party you can.
We recommend grilling the brats first then putting them in the crock pot with the sliced onions and beer. Cook the mixture on low for 7-8 hours.
Make It A Meal!
- Throw these easy Baked Beans on the grill with your brats for an easy side dish.
- Another easy side dish to serve with these is a Grilled Spaghetti Squash.
- Finish it off with grilled Blueberry Crisp topped with ice cream!
Are you ready to cook bratwurst on the grill? You will love every bite of these delicious beer brats – give this easy grilling recipe a try soon!
More Crowd-Pleasing Recipes
- BBQ Chicken is always a summer classic and my recipe always gets rave reviews!
- Ditch the hot dogs and make Chili Cheese Bratwurst!
- Spicy Shrimp Kabobs are great for dinner or as a party appetizer!
Shop Our Spices
- 10 fresh bratwursts
- 4 cans amber ale style beers (12 oz each)
- 1 white sweet onion
- 10 brat style buns
- optional toppings: ketchup, mustard, relish, sauerkraut, grilled onions
- Preheat grill to 400 degree F.
- Thinly slice the onion and lay it on the bottom of a disposable deep sided aluminum pan. Place the fresh brats on top of onion and then pour beer of the top.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and place on preheat grill. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Uncover the pan and remove the brats from it, placing them onto the grill grates.
- Grill brats for 5-10 minutes or until crisp making sure to rotate them at least once during grill.
- Once the brats are crisp pull them from the grill and let serve with buns and toppings.