Grilled Chicken Salad
A delicious Grilled Chicken Salad that starts with a marinated, grilled chicken breast that’s piled on a bed of lettuce, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, grilled corn, cucumbers and avocados. This healthy, delicious salad is perfect for all your summer meals!
Nothing screams summer more than a Grilled Chicken Salad for dinner! It starts with delicious chicken that is marinated and grilled. So juicy and tender. Then pile it on a bed of greens along with your favorite veggies. Light, healthy and packed with flavor!
Why this recipe works!
- Packed with protein so it keeps you full longer! Makes a great healthy lunch or dinner.
- Easy meal prep! Double the recipe so you have lunches all week long.
- So easy to make it your own. Pick your favorite vegetables and pile them on. You could even serve it for company with a build your own salad bar!
Ingredients Needed for Easy Grilled Chicken Salad!
- Boneless, skinless chicken – You could also use chicken legs or thighs. You would need to shred this meat before adding it to the salad.
This is the ingredients we used to make the marinade, but you can use your favorite go-to marinade recipe too!
- Lemon juice – Fresh gives it the most flavor so grab a lemon!
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Olive oil
- Fresh oregano – Can substitute with dried oregano
- Fresh parsley – Can substitute with dried parsley
- Fresh basil – Can substitute with dried basil
- Garlic – The best flavor will come from mincing a whole clove, but you could use preminced jarred garlic.
- Brown Sugar – Could substitute with honey
- Seasonings – Paprika, salt and pepper
- Greens – Pick your favorite! We recommend Spring lettuce, but romaine, field greens or even spinach would be great.
Grilled Chicken Salad Topping Ideas!
This is where you make it your own! Here’s a list of great options to pile into your salad.
- Tomatoes – Sliced cherry tomatoes or diced Roma tomatoes are great.
- Corn grilled – You can also used grilled or frozen corn (run it under water to thaw it).
- Red onion – Thinly sliced or minced.
- Hard boiled eggs
- Red peppers – Grilled these for even more flavor!
- Bacon – Try our smoked bacon. Such a flavor enhancer!
How to Make Grilled Chicken Salad
First, you will marinade your chicken, then grill the chicken, assemble the salad and dig in.
This easy salad recipe has a ton of flexibility, is a great main course, meal prep idea or side dish. The possibilities are endless with this salad.
Marinade Your Chicken
The first step to this recipe is to prepare the chicken marinade and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Place chicken in shallow dish or resealable bag. Set aside.
In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients for the chicken marinade. Pour marinade over chicken, cover and place in refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
After you chicken is marinaded it’s time to grill it and make your salad!
Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Take chicken out of marinade and place on a plate. Discard marinade.
Heat grill to medium high or 375 degrees F.
Place chicken on grill grates and cook on each side for 4 minutes. Turn grill to low and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F. Use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer to make sure you cook it to the right temperature. This makes so much difference!
Remove chicken from grill and allow to rest while you prepare the salad. The temperature of the chicken will raise the 5 degrees during resting to get to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F which is recommended by the USDA.
Cut lettuce and any toppings you like. Slice chicken and layer on salad with favorite toppings. Serve with your favorite salad dressing.
Grilled Chicken Salad FAQs
Yes! This is key to cooking your chicken evenly. If you don’t the chicken breast it will take longer to grill the thicker parts and that results in the thinner parts cooking to long, drying out and even burning.
If you know you are going to have leftovers only put the dressing on the portion you are eating. Store the leftovers and dressing separate for 3-4 days.
This is a great option to meal prep for lunches! Grill up a double portion of chicken and then you’ll have salad all week long. Assemble the salads, keeping the dressing separate for a healthy and delicious lunch.
How Long to Grill Chicken?
On medium-high or about 375 degrees Fahrenheit it will take about 15-20 minutes to grill your chicken. This is going to depend on the size of the chicken breast and the thickness of it. The bigger and/or thicker the chicken breast the long it will take to grill.
We always recommend using an instant read thermometer to monitor the temperature of the chicken breast. When the internal temperature in the thickest place of the breast read 165 degrees Fahrenheit it is done.
How Long Should I marinate chicken?
You need to marinate the chicken at least one hour, but it can be left in the chicken marinade for up to 8 hours.
Can I make this without a grill?
Yes! If you don’t have a grill or it’s the winter and prefer to make this indoors you can use a grill pan on the stove top.
Can I prep this ahead of time?
You can cook your chicken up to two days before you want to assemble the salad. Either serve the chicken cold on the salad or reheat it and top the salad with warm chicken. This is perfect for meal prep!
This is one of our favorite, light, healthy meals off the grill. It’s so fresh and delicious. The topping possibilities are endless!
Our Favorite Grilled Chicken Recipes!
- Need a simple grilled dinner that that whole family will love? Then you need to make a batch of Grilled Chicken Legs! The homemade rub gives them so much flavor!
- Chicken Kabobs are stuffed with crispy bacon and marinated in a ranch marinade. They are grilled to perfection! Who can say no to Bacon Ranch Chicken Kabobs for an easy summer dinner?
- Chicken Caprese is a delicious, healthy dinner recipe bursting with flavor. Grilled Chicken Breast that’s seasoned then topped with fresh mozzarella, a slice of ripe tomato, basil and balsamic reduction.
- Delicious, juicy Beer Can Chicken on your grill is so easy! The chicken is seasoned with a homemade rub then grilled on top of a beer can. The chicken has a crispy, seasoned skin and is tender and delicious.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling so I can see your grilling masterpieces!
Grilled Chicken Salad
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 2-4 chicken breasts, pounded to even thickness
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh oregano minced or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ¼ cup fresh parsley minced and lightly packed or 4 teaspoons dried parsley
- ¼ cup fresh basil minced and lightly packed or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Corn grilled or canned
- Red onion
- Hard boiled eggs
- Red peppers grilled
- Place chicken in shallow dish or resealable bag. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients for the chicken marinade.
- Pour marinade over chicken, cover and place in refrigerator for 1-4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Take chicken out of marinade and place on a plate. Discard marinade.
- Heat grill to medium high or 375 degrees F.
- Place chicken on grill grates and cook on each side for 4 minutes.
- Turn grill to low and continue cooking for 10-15 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest while you prepare the salad. The temperature of the chicken will raise the 5 degrees during resting to get to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F which is recommended by the USDA.
- Cut lettuce and any toppings you like. Slice chicken and layer on salad with favorite toppings
- Serve with your favorite salad dressing.
Leave a Comment