Grilled Sweet Potatoes are a simple and healthy side dish recipe prepared on your grill. They are great for summer grilling. Simple slice your sweet potatoes, toss with olive oil and seasonings then put on a grill while your main dish cooks.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
Don’t you feel like sweet potatoes get the short end of the stick? I mean it’s like they are brought out in the winter for all their glory during Thanksgiving and then tucked away until the holidays roll around again!And they are just too good for that, don’t you agree?!!
I’ll tell you a little secret… sweet potatoes are also delicious grilled – like this recipe for Seasoned Grilled Sweet Potato Wedges, YUM!
If you’ve ever wondered how to grill sweet potatoes, look no further! You’re going to love this easy side dish!!!
Easy Grilled Sweet Potatoes
I bet you have all the ingredients in your pantry that you need to make these grilled sweet potatoes!
Throw some BBQ Baked Beans on the grill and you have an entire meal with minimal clean up right on your grill!
Ingredients needed for Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- smoked paprika
Can you grill potatoes?
Absolutely! Think of grilling potatoes kinda like pan frying potatoes. You just need to cook them long enough that they are able to cook completely thru. You want the outside of the potato with great grill marks but not blackened or burnt.
Does it matter how they are sliced?
No, it doesn’t matter how they are sliced! You can choose to slice the potato in rounds or even lengthwise as a plank. Either way works!
What does matter is the thickness of the slice. To ensure all of the potatoes finish cooking at approximately the same time, be sure to slice them in a uniform thickness. The thicker the slice of potato, the longer it will take to cook.
Do I need to peel a sweet potato before grilling?
That part is totally up to you! Personally, I prefer non-peeled because I like the texture of the potato skin and also because it’s easier! Why peel it if you don’t have to, right? 🤣
Are yams and sweet potatoes the same thing?
Actually, they are two different types of potatoes. Sweet potatoes are orange in color where the flesh of yams are more orange, like the photos in this blog post.
Can you use yams in place of sweet potatoes for grilling? Absolutely! Yams aren’t quite as sweet as their cousin, but they would be equally as tasty in this recipe!
What is the best way to store potatoes?
When we were kids, mom and dad had a root cellar that they would keep potatoes and onions in. Now often times we store them in the refrigerator. Actually, that temperature is a little cooler than potatoes should be stored at.
Potatoes should be stored at a temperature between 45-55 degrees. A paper bag or cardboard box would be ideal.
Does it hurt them to be stored in the refrigerator? No, it doesn’t, however it does change the flavor of the potatoes, making them a little sweeter and it will also make them brown or burn more quickly. For more information on storing potatoes check out PotatoPro.com.
Grilled Sweet Potatoes Recipe
I love sweet potatoes because they are an easy side dish to have handy that can seriously feed a family or a crowd affordably! I know you’ll love them too because this dish is simple and easy but has so much flavor and is great with just about any main dish!
How to Grill Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat gas grill to high.
- Wash the sweet potatoes
- Slice into half inch rounds. Try to ensure each slice is about the same thickness.
- Place sliced sweet potatoes into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients; olive oil, pepper, garlic salt and smoked paprika. Toss to combine.
- Lower heat to medium and add the potatoes to the grill and grill for about 10 minutes on each side or until soft when pierced.
- Transfer potatoes to a platter for serving. Check the seasonings, add more salt if desired. Enjoy!
What to serve with Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Pineapple Pork Chops
- Italian Grilled Chicken Breasts
- Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Burger
- Chipotle Chicken Skewers – sweet potatoes and chipotle are a match made in heaven!
- Easy Smoked Pork Butt
- Honey Bourbon Steak
More great potato recipes you’ll enjoy!
- Smoked Baked Potatoes
- Smoked Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Seasoned Potatoes on Smoker
- Baked Potatoes on the Grill
- Cheesy Potatoes on the Grill with Bacon
What’s your favorite grilled vegetable? This is a great choice if you’re having a cookout! Everybody loves potatoes, right?!! If you have a moment, please comment below leaving a 5-star rating, that would make my day!
Tag me on Instagram when you make this @gimmesomegrilling or #gimmesomegrilling – love to see your delicious eats!!
WATCH THE STEP BY STEP VIDEO FOR THIS GRILLED SWEET POTATO RECIPE BELOW:
If you enjoy watching these videos make sure you subscribe to my YouTube Channel to be notified each time a post a new video!
Grilled Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 4 Sweet Potatoes cut into ¼’’- ½’’ discs
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat gas grill to high or grill pan.
- Place sliced sweet potatoes into bowl and combine with olive oil, pepper, garlic salt and smoked paprika. Toss to combine.
- Lower heat to medium. Place potatoes on the grill and cook for about 10 minutes on each side or until soft when pierced.
- Transfer potatoes to bowl and season with more salt if desired. Serve warm.